Our HelloTech, the HelloFresh engineering organization, has three main parts, Supply chain management, Platform, and Consumer. The Consumer tribes are responsible for the user-facing interfaces starting from the frontend Web and Mobile to the backend services. We have an end-to-end responsibility; we build and run our services. The Consumer organization is about 200 people organized in cross-functional tribes based on the product domains:
- Conversion, leading the user journey from discovering HelloFresh service to becoming a subscriber to it.
- Retention, improving users’ engagement and increasing their lifetime value.
- New Brands, building up and establishing new brands to increase our target addressable market.
These are exciting times in HelloTech. We are scaling up our platform for future growth and face many challenges in maturing in and making it future-ready. As a Director, you will have a high impact on our international teams and our business.
What you'll do
Your role as a Director of Engineering would encompass:
- Lead goal-oriented teams that deliver customer value early and often, diligently measuring results
- Collaborate with the product team to align the technical engineering backlog with the tribe's strategy and roadmap. Address constraints by making sure technical discussions are held and concluded with the next steps in mind
- Set and ensure the upholding of high standards for quality, scalability, and customer focus
- Hire, inspire, manage, and grow cross-functional engineering teams, ensuring every engineer has adequate growth opportunities
- Be part of the engineering leadership team and help set strategy and goals across multiple engineering tribes.
- Work effectively with Product, Design, and Business counterparts towards a common goal of delivering great digital experiences to our customers
- Play a key role in ensuring the ongoing alignment of our technology with the overall company strategy and vision
What you'll bring
- You have relevant engineering work experience and hands-on technical and people management experience (leading both engineers and managers)
- You have experience in managing a team of teams (managing multiple teams at the same time)
- You bring a technical background in past engineering leadership roles with a clear impact on achieving business goals.
- You have architecture abilities and the capacity to design resilient distributed systems that are flexible and scalable
- You’ve worked with Agile methodologies, with a focus on data-driven experimentation, lean thinking, and quick iterations
- You have a proven track record of creative problem solving and the desire to create and build new processes
- You communicate clearly and effectively in a fast-growing engineering organization
- You coached and mentored engineers (and ideally other managers) in their careers, acting as a true multiplier across the organization.
- You are comfortable in dealing with ambiguity, to act as a pragmatic unblocker of your teams and the organization as a whole
- You are eager to have a clear, measurable impact, through the teams you lead, on the company's business goals
- You influence others and facilitate agreement among stakeholders with different interests
What we offer
- Comprehensive relocation assistance to move to Berlin plus visa application support
- Healthy discount on weekly HelloFresh boxes
- Annual learning and development budget to attend conferences or purchase educational resources plus access to the HelloFresh Academy
- A diverse and vibrant international environment of 70+ different nationalities
- Additional perks include: Free crash course in German, compensation for advanced external German classes, discounts for our neighboring gym & Urban Sports Club, summer & winter parties, discount on our HelloFresh GO vending machines
- The chance to have a significant impact on one of the fastest-growing technology companies in Europe in an exciting growth phase
HelloFresh is on a mission to change the way people eat, forever!
Since our 2011 founding in Europe’s vibrant tech hub, Berlin, we’ve become the world's leading meal kit provider, delivering to over 4.2 million households worldwide in 14 countries across 3 continents.
Our Engineering, Data, Product, and Security teams are located in Berlin and New York and are critical to what we do. From procurement tools to conversion rate optimization, live pricing tools, payment services, and add-on upselling features, we work on a wide variety of challenging problems. The result is a high output where we constantly build and release features and engines that make our business thrive, allowing us to deliver real financial impact.
Our more than 7,000 employees from over 70+ nationalities are the heart and soul of our diverse, fast-paced and dynamic environment where innovation and smart, fast action is encouraged.
We will encourage you to make an immediate impact in your area of work as well as empower you to grow your career with us.
You can get a taste of what we've been working on by checking out our tech blog.
Are you up for the challenge?
Please submit your complete application below including your salary expectations and earliest starting date.
After submitting an application our team will review this and get back to you within 5 business days.
For insight into our interview process take a look at our recent post here.
We are HelloFresh
At HelloFresh we embrace and welcome diversity and we currently employ over 7,000 individuals globally who contribute to this. We employ individuals based on their ability to perform a job rather than on the basis of their: race, national origin, color, caste, social origin or position, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, political opinion, marital status or any other characteristic. We encourage everyone to apply and will give everyone equal consideration. We are an equal opportunity employer – everyone is welcome at our table.