As a Principal Data Engineer, you will be responsible for spreading best data engineering practices within the organization and in the team. You will support us in designing, building, and maintaining our data infrastructure, with special focus on flexibility and scalability. You will have the opportunity to work on challenging data-related problems and to have a great impact on the organization.
What you’ll do
- Supporting us with moving to a data mesh architecture
- Defining standard working methods and processes to be respected by all team members, e.g., best practices in developing data pipelines, data architectures, testing, and deploying changes, documentation standards
- Enabling quick and accurate decision-making within the teams by facilitating discussions
- Creating and coordinating communities
- Coaching and mentoring data engineers in order to support their growth
- Setting and spreading best practices for Data Engineering across the organization
- Providing solutions for complex business problems, enabling insights that can empower better decision-making
- Collaborating with our VP Data and our Senior Director of Data on strategic topics
What you’ll bring
- You are a strong data engineer having worked with Kafka, the Hadoop Ecosystem (Hadoop, Kafka, Spark), with cloud based services (AWS S3, EMR, Glue) and with containers (Docker, Kubernetes, ECS, EKS).
- You bring hands-on experience in creating and managing an enterprise-scale Data Platform, while setting best practices for security, privacy, monitoring & alerting, and CI/CD (ideally, e.g., Azure, Prometheus, AlertManager, Grafana, Jenkins, Concourse, Airflow, Tableau, Alation)
- You have coached and mentored team members in previous roles
- You leverage data to prioritize your work and to influence others
- You have managed senior stakeholders in complex organizations and in changing environments
- You are willing to implement change and improvements when seeing an opportunity
What we offer
- Comprehensive relocation assistance to move to Berlin plus visa application support
- Healthy discount on weekly HelloFresh boxes
- Annual learning and development budget to attend conferences or purchase educational resources plus access to the HelloFresh Academy
- Subsidised childcare with a professional nannying agency
- Free access to Headspace, biweekly in-house yoga classes (remote since March 2020)
- A diverse and vibrant international environment of 70+ different nationalities
- Additional perks include: Free crash course in German, compensation for advanced external German classes, discounts for our neighboring gym & Urban Sports Club, summer & winter parties, discount on our HelloFresh GO vending machines
- The chance to have a significant impact on one of the fastest-growing technology companies in Europe in an exciting growth phase
HelloFresh is on a mission to change the way people eat, forever!
Since our 2011 founding in Europe’s vibrant tech hub, Berlin, we’ve become the world's leading meal kit provider, delivering to over 4.2 million households worldwide in 14 countries across 3 continents.
Our Engineering, Data, Product and Security teams are located in Berlin and New York and are critical to what we do. From procurement tools to conversion rate optimization, live pricing tools, payment services and add-on upselling features, we work on a wide variety of challenging problems. The result is a high output where we constantly build and release features and engines that make our business thrive, allowing us to deliver real financial impact.
Our more than 7,000 employees from over 70+ nationalities are the heart and soul of our diverse, fast-paced and dynamic environment where innovation and smart, fast action is encouraged.
We will encourage you to make an immediate impact in your area of work as well as empower you to grow your career with us.
You can get a taste of what we've been working on by checking out our tech blog.
Are you up for the challenge?
Please submit your complete application below including your salary expectations and earliest starting date.
After submitting an application our team will review this and get back to you within 5 business days.
For insight into our interview process take a look at our recent post here.
We are HelloFresh
At HelloFresh we embrace and welcome diversity and we currently employ over 7,000 individuals globally who contribute to this. We employ individuals based on their ability to perform a job rather than on the basis of their: race, national origin, color, caste, social origin or position, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, political opinion, marital status or any other characteristic. We encourage everyone to apply and will give everyone equal consideration. We are an equal opportunity employer – everyone is welcome at our table.