At HelloFresh, we want to change the way people eat. Over the past 8 years we've seen this mission spread around the world and beyond our wildest dreams. Now, we are the leading global company in the expanding online recipe kit delivery market. So, how did we do it? Our weekly recipe boxes full of exciting recipes and lovingly sourced, fresh ingredients have blossomed into a community of encouraged, energized home cooks that expands across the globe. We are one of the fastest growing meal kit businesses and are active and growing in 10+ different countries across 3 continents. Our growth trajectory and expansion has been phenomenal and we have launched facilities across Canada and have recently added Chefs Plate to our team!
About the team:
We are a close-knit group of engineers of different stripes - developers, testers, and product owners - who are working together to solve interesting e-commerce and supply chain problems around how people eat. Sometimes, this involves experimenting to improve the user journey and making it easier for our customers to buy amazing food. Sometimes, this means creating stable software solutions that keep our distribution centers running.
About the role:
As a Senior Software Engineer (Backend) you will take ownership of the architecture, design, development, deployment and operations of the microservices powering our supply chain management (SCM) platform. You’ll partner with the product owner to define the product delivery roadmap and help your team to build great products. You will set and ensure the upholding of high standards in engineering practices, across all domains (quality, reliability, scalability, customer focus, etc.). Based in Sydney SCM engineering hub, you will be part of the global SCM engineering tribe.
- Take ownership of the architecture, design, development, deployment and operations of the microservices you will develop.
- Actively contribute to the codebase, performing code reviews, acting as quality gatekeeper, and apply new design patterns.
- Work with state-of-the-art technologies like Kafka, RabbitMQ, Spark, Kubernetes, Helm charts, Istio, Airflow, and more.
- Coach and mentor squad team members through workshops, pair/mob programming, technical spikes, katas, and code reviews.
- Provide valuable and timely feedback to your team members, as well as share inputs for regular performance reviews.
- Develop new product features backed by scalable technical solution designs which are catered for a global audience from day-one.
- Set and ensure the upholding of high standards in engineering practices, across all domains (quality, reliability, scalability, customer focus, etc.)
- You will ensure your team is following our way of working and maintaining a high code health score for owned codebases.
- You will work closely with the product owner and your team to plan sprints, refine the backlog, and estimate the stories.
- You will be responsible for the timely delivery of your team’s initiatives, objectives (OKRs) and strategic goals.
- Use agile methodologies, DevOps and continuous delivery practices to deliver incremental and continuous business value.
- Continuously improve your craft by applying various software engineering best practices and continuous improvement methodologies.
- Collaborate with Squad lead and Staff Engineers in your tribe and across the HelloTech to continuously improve our code base, systems and processes design.
- Take ownership of hiring, inspiring, managing your team; ensuring every team member has adequate growth opportunities
- 4+ years of experience in an agile software development team
- Hands-on experience in developing and releasing microservices, distributed system, and/or large-scale solutions
- 3+ years experience in a current service-oriented programming language, such as Kotlin, Java , Python, Golang or NodeJS
- 2+ years of experience with relational databases (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL technologies (e.g. MongoDB), with demonstrable ability to write and execute effective queries
Why you'll love it here:
- A competitive salary and company benefits
- 75% discount on HelloFresh and Chefs Plate meal kits
- Partial top-up for parental leaves
- A work-from-home allowance and flexibility to work remotely (within Canada) up to four weeks per year - learn more about our flexible Hybrid Work Approach below!
- We trust and support you - take ownership of your work and push your ideas from inception to execution
- We want to see you grow - we support your career progression and provide learning and development opportunities
- We take our work seriously, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. You’ll work with fun, energetic, and supportive teams.
- We’ve kept up the work-hard, play-hard energy virtually. From team socials to HQ Wellness Wednesdays to holiday and milestone celebrations, you’ll have plenty of opportunity to connect socially with teammates across the company.
Hybrid Work Approach
At HelloFresh, we know that flexible work arrangements are essential in enabling you to do your best work, while balancing your personal and life needs. Offering remote work flexibility for our employees is a core part of creating a great employee experience. We are also mindful that many employees thrive on in-person interactions and collaboration opportunities at the office (e.g. new joiners, team building, social events, experiencing our product).
To meet those needs, we are pleased to provide a Hybrid Work Approach, which enables employees to work from home up to 50% of the time, and also work remotely (within Canada) up to four weeks per year. During the COVID-19 pandemic, our HQ employees are primarily working remotely from home and we have the office open and available on a voluntary basis for employees who wish to work from there. Pending public health guidelines, we expect to return to the office using our Hybrid Work Approach. Employees will receive a minimum of one month’s notice of our Hybrid Work Approach taking effect and when employees will be expected to start work from the office.
When we return to the office, you’ll love:
- Our bright and functional space located in the heart of downtown Toronto (110 Spadina Avenue)
- Our test kitchen, where our recipes are tested on-site, so there are delicious meals constantly flowing!
- Our newly renovated employee lounge, decked out with a movie projector, comfy couches, board games, and a ping pong table!
- Our gorgeous rooftop patio, with a perfect view of the CN Tower while you enjoy lunch outdoors!
- Our fully-stocked kitchen with fresh fruit, healthy and not-so-healthy snacks, sparkling water, cold brew coffees, and more. (Are you seeing a pattern yet? Hint: We love food!).
You are welcome at our table.
At HelloFresh, we are committed to building and nurturing an inclusive community for our employees. We value diverse skills and experience, and strongly encourage applications from our Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC) community, as well as people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities.
HelloFresh is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an accessible recruitment process. Upon request, we will provide accommodation for candidates at any stage.