Didn’t grow up with stuffed peppers? Here’s the 411: hollowed-out bell peppers are filled with a combo of grains, protein, and spices. Of course, that doesn’t quite sum up how delicious and, for some, nostalgia-inducing they are. This week, our chefs have broken the classic out of its (literal) comfort zone with a Mediterranean-style spin. The filling starts with almond-studded, Tunisian-spiced couscous. It’s mixed with meaty mushrooms and marinated tomato, then stuffed into the tender pepper halves. Once they emerge from the oven, they’re topped with a creamy hummus sauce, scallion greens, and feta. Prepare for a flavor explosion.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Green Bell Pepper
Tunisian Spice Blend
Sabra® Classic Hummus
Mushroom Stock Concentrate
• Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Halve bell peppers lengthwise; remove stems and seeds. Toss on one side of a baking sheet with a drizzle of oil. Season with salt and pepper; arrange cut sides down. Trim mushrooms. Toss on empty side with a drizzle of oil. Season with salt and pepper. • Roast on middle rack until peppers are lightly browned and softened and mushrooms are golden brown, 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven. • 4 SERVINGS: Divide between 2 baking sheets; roast bell peppers on middle rack and mushrooms on top rack.
• Meanwhile, trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Finely dice tomato. • In a small bowl, toss tomato with a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
• Melt 1 TBSP butter in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add almonds; cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Stir in scallion whites, couscous, 2 tsp Tunisian Spice (you’ll use the rest later), and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until scallion whites are softened and couscous is toasted, 2-3 minutes. • Stir in ¾ cup water and stock concentrate. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until tender, 6-8 minutes. Keep covered off heat. • 4 SERVINGS: Use a medium pot, 4 tsp Tunisian Spice, and 1½ cups water. • TIP: Drain any excess water from cooked couscous, if necessary.
• Meanwhile, in a second small bowl, combine hummus, sour cream, and remaining Tunisian Spice. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
• Once mushrooms are cool enough to handle, transfer to a cutting board; roughly chop. • Heat pot with couscous over mediumlow heat. Uncover; stir in mushrooms, tomato, and 1 TBSP butter. Cook, stirring, until butter has melted and tomato is slightly softened, 1-2 minutes. Season with salt (we used ½ tsp) and pepper. • Stuff each bell pepper half with as much filling as will fit. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2 TBSP butter and 1 tsp salt.
• Divide remaining filling and stuffed peppers between plates. Drizzle with sauce. Top with feta and scallion greens and serve.