One of our all-time favorite NYC eats? A bowl packed with fluffy rice, richly-spiced meat, tender veggies, and creamy sauce. For this version, we’re sending sirloin steak that’s pre-marinated in turmeric, paprika, garlic powder, and other seasonings so you get extra-flavorful results in no time. For even more depth, we add aromatic shawarma spices, then sear the meat until tender. It’s served over rice with roasted onion, tomato, and bell pepper, plus garlicky white sauce AND hot sauce for creamy, spicy goodness in every bite.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Shawarma Spice Blend
Middle Eastern Sirloin
• Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Halve and peel onion; cut half into ½-inch thick wedges and very thinly slice remaining onion. Cut tomato into ½-inch-thick wedges. Core, deseed, and dice bell pepper into ½-inch pieces. Zest and halve lemon. Peel and grate garlic.
• Toss onion wedges, tomato, and bell pepper on a baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil, 1 tsp Shawarma Spice (2 tsp for 4 servings), salt, and pepper. (You’ll use more Shawarma Spice in the next step.) • Roast on middle rack until veggies are softened and lightly charred, 20-25 minutes.
• Meanwhile, melt 1 TBSP butter in a small pot over medium-high heat. (For 4 servings, use 2 TBSP butter and a medium pot.) Add 1 tsp Shawarma Spice (2 tsp for 4). (You’ll use the remaining Shawarma Spice in the next step.) Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. • Stir in rice, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4), and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, rub steak* with remaining Shawarma Spice to evenly coat. • Heat a large drizzle of olive oil in a large, preferably nonstick, pan over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook to desired doneness, 4-7 minutes per side. • Transfer to a cutting board to rest for at least 5 minutes.
• In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine sliced onion, juice from half the lemon, 1 TBSP water, ½ tsp sugar, salt, and pepper. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Microwave for 1 minute. Remove plastic wrap; set aside to pickle, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve. • Cut remaining lemon into wedges. • In a separate small bowl, combine sour cream, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a pinch of garlic to taste. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in lemon zest and 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings). Season with salt and pepper. Slice steak against the grain. • Divide rice between shallow bowls or plates. Top with steak, roasted veggies, and some pickled onion (draining first). Dollop with garlicky white sauce. Drizzle with hot sauce if desired. Serve with remaining lemon wedges on the side.