Southwest Plant-Based Protein over Rice
Protein that tastes like meat (without the meat)
Craving all the tantalizing flavors and textures of a burrito bowl—minus the meat? Look no further. This version stars ground plant-based protein, which we crisp up in a hot pan for caramelized edges, then simmer with poblano, onion, and a bounty of seasonings until saucy. It’s all piled over cilantro-lime rice with tomato, pickled onion, and tangy lime crema. Now, who really needs the meat when you’ve got all that?
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Ground Plant-Based Protein
(Contains Soy, Tree Nuts, Wheat)
Southwest Spice Blend
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry all produce. • In a small pot, combine rice, 1¼ cups water (2¼ cups for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, halve, peel, and very thinly slice ¼ of the onion; dice remaining onion into ½-inch pieces. Zest and halve lime; cut one half into wedges (for 4 servings, zest and halve one lime; cut second lime into wedges). Core, deseed, and dice poblano into ½-inch pieces. Finely dice tomato. Finely chop cilantro.
• In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine sliced onion, juice from half the lime, ½ tsp sugar, 1 TBSP water, and salt. (For 4 servings, use 1 tsp sugar and 2 TBSP water.) Stir until sugar and salt are mostly dissolved. • Microwave for 30 seconds. Set aside, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in large pan over medium-high heat. Add half the plant-based protein* (all for 4 servings) and season with Southwest Spice. Using a spatula, press into an even layer; cook, without stirring, until browned on bottom, 3-4 minutes. Break up protein into pieces. • Add another drizzle of oil, poblano, and diced onion. Cook, stirring, until veggies are softened, 3-4 minutes. • Stir in Tex-Mex paste and ¼ cup water (1⁄3 cup for 4). Cook, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan, until mixture is thickened and saucy, 1-2 minutes more.
• Meanwhile, in a second small bowl, combine sour cream with a squeeze of lime juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. • In a third small bowl, combine tomato, a drizzle of oil, salt, pepper, and lime zest to taste.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings), half the cilantro, and juice from remaining lime. Season with salt and pepper. • Divide rice between bowls; top with Southwest plant-based protein, tomato, and as much pickled onion (draining first) as you like. Drizzle with lime crema and garnish with remaining cilantro. Serve.