In the HF Kitchen, we’re pretty obsessed with grilling cheese and its ability to fry up golden on the outside melty within. For tonight’s version, you’ll coat the cheese in curry powder and olive oil before pan-searing. All that golden goodness is served over bowls of jasmine rice, sautéed bell pepper and onion with honey, and oven-roasted kale. Finally, a drizzle of creamy garlic sauce tops things off with a lemony tang.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
• Adjust rack to top position (top and middle positions for 4 servings) and preheat oven to 350 degrees. • In a small pot, combine rice, 3⁄4 cup water (1 1⁄2 cups for 4), and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, wash and dry produce (except kale). • Remove and discard any large stems from kale. Quarter lemon. Halve, peel, and thinly slice onion. Halve, core, and thinly slice bell pepper into strips.
• Toss kale on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. (For 4 servings, divide kale between 2 baking sheets; roast on top and middle racks, swapping rack positions halfway through.) • Roast on top rack until browned and crisp, 13-15 minutes. TIP: Watch kale carefully to ensure it doesn’t burn.
• Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, half the garlic powder (you’ll use the rest in the next step), and a squeeze of lemon juice. If needed, add water 1 tsp at a time until sauce reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large, preferably nonstick, pan over medium- high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and a pinch of salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly charred and tender, 6-9 minutes. • Remove from heat; stir in honey, remaining garlic powder, and 1 tsp water (2 tsp for 4 servings) until combined. • Turn off heat; transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Wash out pan.
• While veggies cook, slice grilling cheese lengthwise into six pieces (12 pieces for 4 servings). • In a medium bowl, combine half the curry powder and 2 TBSP olive oil (for 4, use all the curry powder and 4 TBSP olive oil). Add grilling cheese and toss to coat. • Heat pan used for the veggies over medium heat. Add grilling cheese in a single layer; cook until browned, 1-2 minutes per side (for 4, you may need to work in batches).
• Fluff rice with a fork. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. • Divide rice, veggies, and roasted kale between bowls. Top with grilling cheese and drizzle with as much sauce as you like. Serve with any remaining lemon wedges on the side.