Is there anything better than curling up with a bowl of fried rice? Our answer: not really! This week, our chefs cooked up a vegetarian version of the classic comfort food that’s got it all: tender carrots and snap peas, a tantalizing sesame soy sauce, fried eggs, and pan-crisped rice. The result? A symphony of flavors and textures you’ll find yourself craving again and again.
Sugar Snap Peas
Sweet Soy Glaze(ContainsSoy, Wheat)
Rice Wine Vinegar
Microwaveable Jasmine Rice
• Wash and dry produce. • Trim, peel, and dice carrots into ¼-inch pieces. Remove strings from snap peas; halve crosswise on a diagonal. Peel and mince or grate ginger. Peel and mince garlic. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens.
• In a small bowl, combine sweet soy glaze, half the sesame oil, half the vinegar, and 1 tsp sugar. (For 4 servings, use all the sesame oil, all the vinegar, and 2 tsp sugar.) • In a separate small bowl, combine mayonnaise with Sriracha to taste. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large, preferably nonstick, pan over medium-high heat. Add carrots; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until slightly tender, 4-5 minutes. • Add snap peas and cook until slightly tender, 1-2 minutes. • Add ginger, garlic, and scallion whites; cook until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. • Stir in sesame soy mixture. Cook, stirring, until sauce has thickened and veggies are coated, 1-2 minutes more. • Turn off heat; transfer veggie mixture to a large bowl. Wipe out pan.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in pan used for veggies over medium-high heat. Massage rice in package to break up grains, then add to pan. Cook, without stirring, until slightly crispy on bottom, 2-3 minutes. • Add veggie mixture and stir to combine. • Season with salt and pepper to taste. Press into an even layer; cook until rice is slightly crispy, 1-2 minutes more. Turn off heat.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium, preferably nonstick, pan (use a large, preferably nonstick, pan for 4 servings) over medium-high heat. Once hot, crack eggs* into pan and cover. (For 4, you may want to cook eggs in batches.) Fry eggs to preference. Season with salt and pepper.
• Divide veggie fried rice between bowls; top each with a fried egg. Drizzle with Sriracha mayo, garnish with scallion greens, and serve.