Our chefs have reclaimed the sandwich and now present it to you in a veggie-forward, dinner-worthy form that might change the way you think about sammies... forever. Zucchini and bell pepper are roasted in earthy za’atar spice, then layered between baguettes with pan-seared onion, feta, and a creamy harissa and red pepper aioli. And since we’re thinking outside the box, roasted sweet potato wedges are served up hot on the side. Consider this a victory... in sandwich form!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Red Pepper Jam
Demi Baguette(ContainsSoy, Wheat)
• Adjust racks to top and middle positions and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Cut sweet potatoes into ½-inch-thick wedges. Trim and slice zucchini crosswise on a diagonal into ½-inch- thick rounds. Halve, core, and slice bell pepper into ½-inch-thick strips. Peel and thinly slice onion into rounds.
• Toss sweet potatoes on a baking sheet with a drizzle of oil, ¼ tsp harissa (½ tsp for 4 servings), salt, and pepper. (Add a pinch more harissa if you like things spicy!) • Toss zucchini and bell pepper on a second baking sheet with a drizzle of oil, Za’atar Spice, salt, and pepper. • Roast sweet potatoes on top rack and zucchini and bell pepper on middle rack until everything is browned and tender, 20-25 minutes. TIP: Zucchini and bell pepper may finish before sweet potatoes; check after 15 minutes and if so, remove from oven and continue roasting sweet potatoes.
• While veggies roast, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, half the jam (all for 4 servings), and ¼ tsp harissa (½ tsp for 4). (Add more harissa to taste if desired.) Season with salt and pepper.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large, preferably nonstick, pan over medium-high heat. Add onion rounds and cook, undisturbed, until deeply browned and tender, 2-3 minutes per side. Season with salt and pepper. • Turn off heat; transfer to a plate. Wipe out pan.
• Halve baguettes lengthwise. • Melt 1 TBSP butter in pan used for onion over medium heat. Add baguettes, cut sides down, and toast until golden brown, 1-3 minutes. TIP: Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to toast in batches, using 1 TBSP butter for each batch.
• Press feta into cut sides of bottom buns. Spread cut sides of top buns with harissa aioli (save some for serving). Fill buns with zucchini, bell pepper, and onion. • Divide sandos and sweet potato wedges between plates. Serve with remaining aioli on the side for dipping.