Harissa Chickpea & Sweet Potato Salad
with Feta, Candied Sunflower Seeds, Pickled Shallot & Creamy Lemon Herb Dressing
Move over, side salad: this meal is a hearty Middle Eastern feast. After roasting chickpeas and sweet potato in harissa spices, you’ll quick-pickle shallots and make sweet and crunchy candied sunflower seeds. Toss that all over crisp baby spinach, and dress it all up with a creamy lemon herb dressing—now that’s a satisfying meal.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Green Herb Blend
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
(Contains Eggs, Milk)
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position (top and middle positions for 4 servings) and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Drain and rinse chickpeas; pat very dry with paper towels. Dice sweet potato into ½-inch pieces. Toss chickpeas and sweet potato on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of oil, half the harissa powder, and a couple big pinches of salt. (For 4, use 2 baking sheets and all the harissa powder; roast on top and middle racks.) TIP: If you prefer a milder flavor, use less harissa powder. • Roast on top rack until chickpeas are crispy and sweet potato is tender, 20-25 minutes. • Let cool at least 5 minutes before adding to spinach in step 5.
• Meanwhile, halve, peel, and thinly slice shallot. Zest and halve lemon; cut one half into wedges. (For 4 servings, zest and halve one lemon; cut remaining lemon into wedges.) Finely chop parsley and chives. • In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine shallot, juice from lemon half, ½ tsp sugar, 1 TBSP water, and salt until sugar and salt have mostly dissolved. (Use juice from whole lemon, 1 tsp sugar, and 2 TBSP water for 4.) • Microwave for 30 seconds. Set aside to pickle, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
• Heat a small, dry pan over mediumhigh heat. Add sunflower seeds, 1 tsp sugar (2 tsp for 4 servings), and 2 TBSP water. Cook, stirring, until water has evaporated and sunflower seeds are coated and lightly toasted, 2-4 minutes. • Turn off heat; transfer to a second small bowl.
• In a third small bowl, whisk together sour cream, ranch dressing, parsley, chives, ¼ tsp sugar (½ tsp for 4 servings), a squeeze of lemon juice, and a pinch of lemon zest to taste (save a bit for the next step). Stir in water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Once cooled, carefully toss roasted chickpeas and sweet potato with remaining lemon zest to taste. • In a large bowl, toss together spinach, half the roasted veggie mixture, half the feta, and half the dressing (save the rest of each for serving). Season with a big pinch of salt and pepper.
• Divide salad between plates or shallow bowls. Top with remaining roasted veggie mixture, remaining feta, candied sunflower seeds to taste, and as much pickled shallot (draining first) as you like. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Serve with any remaining lemon wedges on the side.