This luxurious dish is the definition of “umami.” It’s positively bursting with sumptuous, savory flavors sure to knock any funghi fan’s socks off. For the main event, you’ve got al dente penne cloaked in a creamy, cheesy, truffle-spiked mushroom sauce—that’s a mouthful in more ways than one! Plus, there’s a crisp side salad with crunchy croutons, carrots, and Italian dressing. Yeah, this is the type of dish you might just feel inclined to eat with your pinky up.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
• Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Wash and dry all produce. • Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Trim and slice mushrooms into ¼-inchthick pieces.
• Once water is boiling, add penne to pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 9-11 minutes. Reserve ¾ cup pasta cooking water, then drain. • 4 SERVINGS: Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water.
• Meanwhile, trim, peel, and thinly slice carrot on a diagonal. Add to a medium bowl along with mixed greens. Set aside.
• Heat a large drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 4-5 minutes. • Add scallion whites; cook until slightly softened and mushrooms are slightly crisp, 2-3 minutes more. Reduce heat under pan to medium. Season with salt and pepper.
• Stir in cream cheese, sour cream, and ¼ cup reserved pasta cooking water. Add truffle zest (start with ½ tsp—add more for a strong truffle flavor). Season with pepper and ½ tsp salt. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 1/3 cup reserved pasta cooking water. Start with 1 tsp truffle zest and season with 1 tsp salt. • Stir in penne, another ¼ cup reserved pasta cooking water, and 1 TBSP butter. Add half the Parmesan (save the rest for serving); stir until pasta is coated in a creamy sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off heat. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 1/3 cup reserved pasta cooking water and 2 TBSP butter. • TIP: If needed, stir in more reserved pasta cooking water 1 TBSP at a time.
• Add croutons to bowl with salad; toss with dressing. Divide between plates. • Divide pasta between bowls and sprinkle with scallion greens and remaining Parmesan. Garnish with remaining truffle zest to taste and serve.