Vegan Mushroom Shawarma Pita Pockets
with Cucumber Salad, Garlic-Herb Rice & Lemon Dill Sauce
We’re always on the lookout for creative vegan dinner ideas, and tonight it’s all about shawarma! For this veggie-centric spin, we swap the traditional roasted meat for crispy sautéed mushrooms with the same aromatic, warming spices. They’re nestled in a warm, fluffy pita with garlic-herb rice and a juicy cucumber and tomato salad for cool contrast (with plenty leftover to serve on the side). Perhaps the best part of shawarma (besides the whole thing) is the sauce! Whip up a bright, creamy lemon-dill number that balances all those earthy, spiced flavors.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
(Contains Sesame, Wheat)
Shawarma Spice Blend
Not included in your delivery
• In a small pot, combine rice, ¾ tsp garlic powder (1½ tsp for 4 servings), ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4), and a pinch of salt. (You’ll use the rest of the garlic powder later.) Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• Meanwhile, wash and dry produce. • Quarter cucumber lengthwise; slice into ½-inch-thick pieces. Halve tomatoes. Zest and quarter lemon. Pick and finely chop fronds from dill. Trim and thinly slice mushrooms (skip if your mushrooms are pre-sliced!). Halve pitas.
• In a medium bowl, toss cucumber, tomatoes, a large drizzle of olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Season generously with salt and pepper.
• In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, half the dill, remaining garlic powder, a squeeze of lemon juice, and lemon zest to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and Shawarma Spice Blend; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and slightly crispy, 5-7 minutes. (TIP: If pan seems dry, add another drizzle of oil.) Season with salt and pepper.
• Wrap pitas in damp paper towels; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave until warmed, 20 seconds. • Fluff rice with a fork; stir in remaining dill and a drizzle of olive oil. • Spread insides of pitas with sauce. Fill each pita with 1 TBSP rice; top with as many mushrooms and as much salad as you like. Serve with any remaining rice, mushrooms, and salad on the side.