The beauty of a bowl-style dinner is the DIY element. This meal begins with aromatic yellow rice and Southwest-spiced chicken, all jazzed up with homemade salsa and a limey crema. When ready to build your bowl, feel free to go crazy with assembly. Crema on bottom! Rice on top of chicken! Hot sauce on everything!!
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Chicken Stock Concentrate
Long Green Pepper
Southwest Spice Blend
Chicken Breast Strips
• In a small pot, combine stock concentrate, ¼ tsp turmeric (½ tsp for 4 servings), and ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4). (Be sure to measure the turmeric—we sent more.) Bring to a boil, then stir in rice and a pinch of salt. Cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, wash and dry all produce. • Halve, core, and thinly slice green pepper into strips. Dice tomato. Trim and thinly slice scallions. Zest and quarter lime.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add green pepper; season with half the Southwest Spice (you’ll use the rest in the next step), salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, until slightly softened, 2-3 minutes.
• Meanwhile, pat chicken* dry with paper towels; season with remaining Southwest Spice, salt, and pepper. • Once green pepper is slightly softened, add chicken and another large drizzle of oil to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and green pepper is caramelized, 4-6 minutes. • Stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) until melted. Turn off heat.
• While chicken cooks, in a small bowl, combine tomato, scallions, a squeeze of lime juice, salt, and pepper. • In a separate small bowl, combine sour cream, lime zest, a squeeze of lime juice, salt, and pepper.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings). Season with salt and pepper. • Divide rice between bowls and top with chicken mixture, salsa, and lime sour cream. Drizzle with hot sauce to taste. Serve with remaining lime wedges on the side.