Pita Pockets with Zucchini & Egg
Hummus, Israeli Salad & Harissa Garlic Sauce
We never met a bread we didn’t like, but we have a special spot in our hearts for pita. It’s light, fluffy, chewy, and holds pretty much anything you put in its roomy pockets—so if you’re going to make a pita sandwich, it better be fully loaded. This one’s got it all: slices of boiled egg, tender sautéed zucchini, creamy hummus, and crunchy Israeli salad. Add a drizzle of garlic harissa sauce, plus hot sauce if you want to amp up the heat, then dig into one truly superb sandwich.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Whole Wheat Pitas
Not included in your delivery
• Place eggs* in a small pot and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then immediately cover and turn off heat. Let stand 11 minutes, then carefully drain. • Run under cold water until cool to the touch. Peel and slice eggs into rounds.
• While eggs cook, wash and dry all produce. • Dice cucumber and tomato into ½-inch pieces. Halve and peel shallot; thinly slice one half. Quarter lemon. Peel and finely chop or grate garlic. Trim and slice zucchini crosswise into ½-inch-thick rounds. • 4 SERVINGS: Thinly slice whole shallot.
• In a medium bowl, combine cucumber, tomato, sliced shallot, juice from half the lemon, and a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. • In a small bowl, combine sour cream, ¼ tsp harissa powder (you’ll use more in the next step), and a pinch of garlic. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Taste and add more garlic if desired. Season with salt and pepper. • 4 SERVINGS: Use ½ tsp harissa powder.
• In a large bowl, toss zucchini with a large drizzle of olive oil, 1 tsp harissa powder (be sure to measure), salt, and pepper. • Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and cook until browned and tender, 2-3 minutes per side. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2 tsp harissa powder.
• Meanwhile, halve pitas crosswise to create pockets. Wrap in damp paper towels and microwave until warm and pliable, 30 seconds.
• Spread insides of pita pockets with hummus, then fill with zucchini, eggs, a bit of salad, and harissa sauce. Drizzle with hot sauce if desired. Divide pita pockets between plates and serve with remaining lemon wedges and salad on the side.