Southern-Style Shrimp & Cheesy Rice
with Cornbread Swirls & Bacon Jam
This Southern-style dish packs premium proteins and five-star flavor all in one comforting, homestyle bowl. Fresh tomatoes, onion, and Cajun spices simmer with shrimp for a light spring stew, mingled with lusciously creamy arborio rice. On the side, freshly baked cornbread swirls are perfect for scooping up a salty-sweet bacon jam, dipping in the stew, or enjoying on their own. A springy scallion garnish welcomes the season with a green pop of freshness!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Chicken Stock Concentrate
Red Pepper Jam
Cajun Spice Blend
Cream Sauce Base
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange bacon* 1-2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Roast on top rack until crispy, 10-12 minutes. • Once bacon is crispy, transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Once cool enough to handle, roughly chop. • Wash and dry produce. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Halve, peel, and finely dice onion. Dice tomatoes into ½-inch pieces.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add rice and cook, stirring, until translucent, 30-60 seconds. • Stir in 3 cups water (6 cups for 4 servings), garlic powder, two of the stock concentrates (four for 4), and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and rice is tender, 15-20 minutes. TIP: If liquid evaporates before rice is tender, add a splash more water.
• In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine jam, scallion whites, chopped bacon, half the paprika, and 1½ TBSP water (3 TBSP for 4 servings). Cover bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 45 seconds. • Uncover and stir bacon jam; chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and softened, 8-10 minutes. • Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Cajun Spice, and remaining paprika. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes soften, 3-5 minutes. • Stir in 2 cups water (4 cups for 4 servings), remaining stock concentrates, and ½ tsp salt (1 tsp for 4). Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, 8-10 minutes. • Meanwhile, rinse shrimp* under cold water, then pat dry with paper towels. • Once stew has slightly thickened, stir in shrimp. Return to a simmer and cook until shrimp are opaque and cooked through, 5 minutes more.
• Open tube of cornbread swirls; separate and place 1-2 inches apart on a second baking sheet. Bake on top rack until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. • Once rice is almost tender, stir in cream sauce base. Return to a simmer and cook until rice is creamy and liquid has mostly evaporated, 2-3 minutes. • Remove from heat. Stir in cheddar and 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) until melted. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
• Divide cheesy rice and stewed shrimp between bowls in separate sections. Dollop rice with as much bacon jam as you like. Garnish shrimp with scallion greens. Serve with cornbread swirls on the side.