Pita pockets are sandwich superheroes. They’re light, fluffy, and hold pretty much anything you want in their roomy pockets—so if you’re going to make a pita sandwich, it better be fully loaded. This one does not disappoint: The whole wheat pitas are stuffed with tender roasted sweet potato, bell pepper, and onion, plus a crisp and tangy cucumber salad, hummus, and a creamy, savory sauce. Top with crumbles of salty feta and crunchy pepitas, then dig in to pita perfection.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Green Bell Pepper
Shawarma Spice Blend
Whole Wheat Pitas(ContainsWheat)
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Slice sweet potato into ¼-inch-thick rounds. Halve, core, and thinly slice bell pepper into strips. Halve, peel, and cut onion into ½-inch-thick wedges.
• Toss sweet potato, bell pepper, and onion on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of olive oil, half the Shawarma Spice (all for 4 servings), salt, and pepper. • Roast until tender and lightly browned, 15-20 minutes.
• Meanwhile, trim and halve cucumber lengthwise; thinly slice crosswise into half-moons. Pick and roughly chop fronds from dill until you have 2 tsp (4 tsp for 4 servings). Quarter lemon. • In a medium bowl, toss together cucumber, chopped dill, and half the pepitas (save the rest for serving) with a drizzle of olive oil and a big squeeze of lemon juice until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
• In a small bowl, combine sour cream, 2 TBSP feta (4 TBSP for 4 servings), and a large drizzle of olive oil. (Save the remaining feta for serving.) Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
• Halve pitas crosswise to create pockets. Place on a second baking sheet. • When veggies have 2-3 minutes left, add pitas to top rack and toast until warmed through (they should still be soft and flexible).
• Spread hummus inside each pita half, then fill with sweet potato, bell pepper, as many onion wedges as you like, and a small amount of cucumber pepita salad. Drizzle with feta sauce to taste. • Divide pita pockets between plates. Add remaining salad to the side and sprinkle with remaining pepitas and feta. Serve with any remaining roasted veggies, feta sauce, and lemon wedges on the side.