Forget takeout: the path to sweet-spicy-savory dinner bliss is as simple as breaking out a frying pan! In this recipe, mushroom, bell pepper, and onion are coated in tantalizing szechuan sauce and peanuts are transformed into the perfect crunchy topping thanks to a sugary coating. Everything comes together over a bed of bulgar wheat mixed with warm, sizzly ginger—in 30 minutes, no less! Top that with a fried egg and you’ve got a symphony of flavors and textures that are so delicious, you might just lick the plate.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Mushroom Stock Concentrate
Szechuan Paste(ContainsWheat, Soy)
Sweet Soy Glaze(ContainsWheat, Soy)
• Wash and dry all produce. • Peel and mince or grate ginger. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Trim and quarter mushrooms. Halve, core, and dice bell pepper into 1-inch pieces. Halve, peel, and thinly slice onion.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot. Add ginger and scallion whites; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. • Stir in bulgur, 1 cup water (2 cups for 4 servings), stock concentrates, and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until water has absorbed and bulgur is tender, 12-15 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While bulgur cooks, add peanuts to a large, dry pan over medium heat. Cook, shaking pan frequently, until toasted and fragrant, 2-3 minutes. • Transfer peanuts to a cutting board. Once cooled, roughly chop.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in pan used for peanuts over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion. Cook, stirring, until slightly tender, 5-7 minutes. • Stir in sweet soy glaze, half the Szechuan paste, ¼ cup water, and 1 tsp sugar. (For 4 servings, use all the Szechuan paste, 1⁄3 cup water, and 2 tsp sugar.) Cook, stirring, until sauce has thickened and veggies are coated, 1-2 minutes.
• While veggies cook, heat a drizzle of oil in a medium, preferably nonstick, pan over medium-high heat. Crack eggs* into pan and season with salt and pepper. Fry eggs to preference. Turn off heat.
• Fluff bulgur with a fork. • Divide bulgur between bowls; top each with veggie stir-fry and a fried egg. Garnish with scallion greens and peanuts. Serve.