Sweet & Spicy Szechuan Veggie Stir-Fry
with Ginger Bulgur & a Fried Egg
Forget takeout: the path to sweet-spicy-savory dinner bliss is as simple as breaking out a frying pan! In this recipe, mushroom, bell pepper, and onion are coated in tantalizing szechuan sauce and peanuts are transformed into the perfect crunchy topping thanks to a sugary coating. Everything comes together over a bed of bulgar wheat mixed with warm, sizzly ginger—in 30 minutes, no less! Top that with a fried egg and you’ve got a symphony of flavors and textures that are so delicious, you might just lick the plate.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Mushroom Stock Concentrate
(Contains Soy, Wheat)
Sweet Soy Glaze
(Contains Soy, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry all produce. • Peel and mince or grate ginger. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Trim and quarter mushrooms. Halve, core, and dice bell pepper into 1-inch pieces. Halve, peel, and thinly slice onion.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot. Add ginger and scallion whites; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. • Stir in bulgur, 1 cup water (2 cups for 4 servings), stock concentrates, and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until water has absorbed and bulgur is tender, 12-15 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While bulgur cooks, add peanuts to a large, dry pan over medium heat. Cook, shaking pan frequently, until toasted and fragrant, 2-3 minutes. • Transfer peanuts to a cutting board. Once cooled, roughly chop.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in pan used for peanuts over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion. Cook, stirring, until slightly tender, 5-7 minutes. • Stir in sweet soy glaze, half the Szechuan paste, ¼ cup water, and 1 tsp sugar. (For 4 servings, use all the Szechuan paste, 1⁄3 cup water, and 2 tsp sugar.) Cook, stirring, until sauce has thickened and veggies are coated, 1-2 minutes.
• While veggies cook, heat a drizzle of oil in a medium, preferably nonstick, pan over medium-high heat. Crack eggs* into pan and season with salt and pepper. Fry eggs to preference. Turn off heat.
• Fluff bulgur with a fork. • Divide bulgur between bowls; top each with veggie stir-fry and a fried egg. Garnish with scallion greens and peanuts. Serve.