We’re pretty sure one bite into our chef’s version of Chicken Rustica will have you and your tastebuds dreaming of cottage life on the Italian coast. In tonight’s meal, tender Tuscan-spiced chicken is nestled in a bed of lemon-dressed kale, tomato, and warm cannellini beans. It all comes together with spoonfuls of buttery pan sauce for an almost-soup that (if we do say so ourselves) pairs perfectly with some cozy candlelight. Weeknights in Tuscany? We’re here for it.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Tuscan Heat Spice
Chicken Stock Concentrate
• Wash and dry all produce. • Peel and mince or grate garlic. Halve, peel, and cut onion into a small dice. Remove and discard any large stems from kale; chop into bite-size pieces. Dice tomato. Drain and rinse beans. Zest and quarter lemon.
• Pat chicken* dry with paper towels. Season with 1 tsp Tuscan Heat Spice (2 tsp for 4 servings), salt, and pepper. (You’ll use the remaining Tuscan Heat Spice in the next step.) • Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, 1-2 minutes per side (it’ll finish cooking in the next step). • Transfer to a plate.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in pan used for chicken over medium heat. Add garlic and ¾ of the onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 3-4 minutes. • Add kale, tomato, half the stock concentrates (you’ll use the rest later), and ½ cup water (1 cup for 4 servings). Season with remaining Tuscan Heat Spice, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender, 2-3 minutes. • Return chicken to pan with veggies and cover. Cook until chicken is cooked through, 4-6 minutes more. • Transfer chicken to a cutting board.
• Stir beans, juice from 2 lemon wedges, 1 tsp sugar, and lemon zest to taste into pan with veggies. (For 4 servings, use juice from whole lemon and 2 tsp sugar.) Cook until beans are warmed through, 1 minute. • Remove pan from heat.
• Meanwhile, melt 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add remaining onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2-3 minutes. • Stir in remaining stock concentrates and ¼ cup water. Cook until sauce has thickened slightly, 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Slice chicken crosswise. • Divide bean and veggie mixture between bowls. Top with sliced chicken. Spoon pan sauce over chicken. Serve with any remaining lemon wedges on the side.