Chicken is always a weeknight winner. It’s satisfying, speedy, and so versatile, which is why our chefs are always brainstorming new ways to take it to the next level. This week, they whipped up a dreamy sauce of plum jam, chicken stock, fresh ginger, and tangy ponzu that adds sweet, tangy, and aromatic complexity to the tender meat. It’s served with sides of buttery rice and sautéed bell pepper and carrot—both of which would also be delicious with said sauce. You’d be chicken not to try it!
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Chicken Stock Concentrate
Ponzu Sauce(ContainsFish, Soy, Wheat)
• Wash and dry all produce. • Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Halve, core, and slice bell pepper into strips. Trim, peel, and cut carrot on a diagonal into ¼-inch-thick pieces. Peel and mince garlic and ginger. Quarter lime.
• Heat drizzle of oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites; cook until softened, 1 minute. • Add rice, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings), and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and carrot and cook, stirring, until softened and browned, 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. TIP: If needed, add a splash of water to help veggies soften. • Turn off heat. Transfer to a medium bowl; cover with foil to keep warm. Wash out pan.
• Meanwhile, pat chicken* dry with paper towels; season all over with salt and pepper. • Heat a drizzle of oil in pan used for veggies over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. • Turn off heat; transfer chicken to a cutting board. Let rest for at least 5 minutes, then thinly slice crosswise. Wipe out pan.
• While chicken rests, heat a drizzle of oil in same pan over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. • Stir in jam, stock concentrate, ponzu, and ¼ cup water (1⁄3 cup for 4 servings). Cook, stirring, until thickened, 2-3 minutes. • Turn off heat; stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4) until melted. Add a squeeze of lime juice to taste.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings). Season with salt and pepper. • Divide rice, veggies, and chicken between bowls. Drizzle chicken with sauce. Garnish with scallion greens. Serve with any remaining lime wedges on the side.