Kids’ Mini Chicken Flautas Lunch
+ Snack: Pizza Poppers
Mini flautas are just right for little hands, and they’re on the menu today! You’ll roll up bite-size pieces of juicy white meat chicken plus mild pico de gallo and a kid-friendly Mexican cheese blend in tortillas, and bake until golden and crispy. On the side are carrot sticks and Belgian waffle strips to complete the meal. Snacktime always sneaks up on us, so we’ve included a make-ahead pizza popper recipe you’ll assemble from premade biscuit dough, marinara sauce, and melty mozz. Bake until golden brown for a surefire time-saving winner at home or in the lunchbox.
This recipe is designed to provide lunch and snack components for multiple days. For each lunch and snack meal, 3 servings and 6 servings are provided for a 2 person and 4 person box respectively. Nutrition information under the Nutrition Values section below is for the lunch portion. The following nutrition information is for 1 serving of the snack meal: Calories: 490, Fat: 24g, Sat Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 25mg, Sodium: 1330mg, Carbohydrates: 57g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 10g, Protein: 17g. Download the nutrition labels to see final nutrition information for both lunch and snack components.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
(Contains Eggs, Milk, Wheat)
Pico de Gallo
Chopped Chicken Breast
(Contains Soy, Wheat)
Mexican Cheese Blend
Pillsbury™ Buttermilk Southern Homestyle Biscuits
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Trim, peel, and cut carrots into sticks (like fries; ours were 3 inches long and 1⁄3 inch thick). Cut waffles into 1-inch-wide strips.
• Open package of chicken* and drain off any excess liquid. Season all over with salt and pepper. • Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken in a single layer; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 4-6 minutes. TIP: Cut any larger pieces of cooked chicken into bite-size pieces. • Transfer chicken to a medium bowl; add Mexican cheese blend and as much pico de gallo (draining first) as you like. Stir to combine.
• Wrap tortillas in damp paper towels; microwave until warm and pliable, 30 seconds. • Lay tortillas on a clean work surface. Evenly divide chicken mixture between one half of each tortilla. Lightly season with salt and pepper if desired. Roll up tortillas, starting with filled sides, to create flautas. • Place flautas, seam sides down, on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush tops with a drizzle of oil. Bake on middle rack until golden brown and warmed through, 6-8 minutes.
• To serve: Halve flautas on a diagonal; divide between plates. Serve with carrot sticks and waffle sticks on the side. • To stash: Let flautas cool completely before halving. Refrigerate flautas, carrot sticks, and waffle sticks in separate containers and pack as desired!
• Adjust rack to middle position (top and middle positions for 6 servings) and preheat oven to 375 degrees. • Remove Pillsbury™ Southern Homestyle Buttermilk Biscuits from package. Using a rolling pin, roll out each biscuit to form a 3-inch round. TIP: Lightly dust work surface with flour to prevent sticking. • Place 1 tsp marinara sauce in center of each circle; divide half the mozzarella between circles. Gently fold edges over filling and pinch tightly to close. Gently roll each pizza popper into a ball.
• Line a second baking sheet with foil and coat with nonstick cooking spray. Place pizza poppers, sealed sides down, 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet (divide between two sheets for 6 servings). Brush tops with oil and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. • Bake on middle rack (top and middle racks for 6) until golden brown, 15-18 minutes. Let cool completely; divide between plates and serve with remaining marinara sauce.
Chicken is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 165°.