Prosciutto Croque Madame Sandwiches
with a Pickled Shallot Salad
This French-inspired favorite combines the best of breakfast into one creamy, dreamy sandwich. Crusty sourdough, creamy mustard sauce, savory prosciutto, and melty gouda are topped with a fried egg and grated Parmesan, then finished with chives for a pop of freshness. Accompanied by a light, citrusy salad starring pickled shallot, this sumptuous meal is fit for a queen.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Cream Sauce Base
(Contains Soy, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust oven rack to middle position (top and middle positions for 4 servings) and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Peel and thinly slice shallot. Quarter lemon. Finely chop chives.
• In a small bowl, combine cream sauce base and half the mustard. Season with pepper. • Arrange half the bread on one side of a baking sheet. Spread with a thin layer of mustard cream sauce, then top with prosciutto, gouda, and another drizzle of mustard cream sauce. Arrange remaining bread on empty side of sheet; spread with a thin layer of mustard cream sauce. • Bake on middle rack until bread is golden, cheese begins to melt, and prosciutto is lightly browned, 6-8 minutes. (For 4 servings, use two baking sheets; bake bread with prosciutto and gouda on top rack and bread with sauce on middle rack.)
• Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of oil in a medium pan over medium heat. (TIP: Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to work in batches.) Once hot, crack eggs* into pan and cover. Fry eggs until whites are set, 1-2 minutes (they’ll finish cooking later). Season with salt and pepper.
• While eggs cook, in a second small microwave-safe bowl, combine shallot, juice from two lemon wedges, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp water, salt, and pepper. (For 4 servings, use juice from four lemon wedges, 2 tsp sugar, and 2 tsp water.) Cover bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 1 minute. Reserve 2 TBSP pickling liquid (4 TBSP for 4), then drain. • In a third small bowl, whisk together reserved pickling liquid, remaining mustard, and 2 TBSP olive oil (4 TBSP for 4). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Once bread has toasted 6-8 minutes, remove sheet from oven. Carefully top bread with prosciutto and gouda with toasted bread, sauce sides down, to create sandwiches. Top with half the Parmesan, fried eggs, and a drizzle of remaining mustard cream sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. • Heat broiler to high. Return to oven until cheese melts and eggs are cooked to preference, 2-3 minutes.
• In a medium bowl, toss mixed greens and pickled shallot with dressing. • Divide sandwiches between plates. Garnish with chives. Serve salad and remaining lemon wedges on the side.