Vegan Cajun-Spiced Mushroom Cavatappi
with Creamy Tomato Sauce, Green Pepper & Scallions
Get ready for a rich, luscious vegan pasta dinner! Coconut milk may sound like an odd addition to your go-to red sauce, but trust us, it’s what gives our vegan veggie-packed pasta its next-level creaminess. You’ll start by sautéing mushrooms and green pepper, adding scallion and garlic, then creating a creamy spiced roux right in the pan for maximum Cajun flavor. Diced tomatoes and coconut milk bring it all together for a sauce so delicious that cavatappi pasta can’t resist hopping right in. If you’re feeling the bayou in you, finish with hot sauce and let the good times roll!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Long Green Pepper
(Contains Tree Nuts)
Mushroom Stock Concentrate
Veggie Stock Concentrate
Not included in your delivery
• Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Wash and dry produce. • Trim and thinly slice mushrooms (skip if your mushrooms are pre-sliced!). Core and thinly slice green pepper into strips. Peel and mince or grate garlic. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens.
• Once water is boiling, add cavatappi to pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 9-11 minutes. • Reserve ¾ cup pasta cooking water (1 cup for 4 servings), then drain.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and green pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. • Stir in garlic, scallion whites, flour, Blackening Spice, and another large drizzle of oil; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
• Add crushed tomatoes to same pan and cook, stirring, until jammy, 2-3 minutes. Stir in coconut milk (shaking first), stock concentrates, ½ tsp sugar, and ¼ cup reserved pasta cooking water (1 tsp sugar and 1⁄3 cup pasta cooking water for 4 servings). • Bring to a simmer; cook, stirring, until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
• Stir drained cavatappi and a drizzle of olive oil into pan with sauce; toss to coat.
• Divide pasta between bowls. Garnish with scallion greens and drizzle with as much hot sauce as you like. Serve.