Our chefs are taking Meatless Mondays seriously this week with these oh-so-delicious Cajun-spiced bean patties. They’re super hearty with mashed kidney beans, Monterey Jack cheese, and scallions. That cheesy goodness gets layered with sliced pickle and slathered with our secret sauce (you’ll just have to trust us until this recipe lands in your hands—it’s something special). And since no burger would be complete without its BFF crispy potatoes, we’re including a side of those, too. Get ready to ask yourself “Who needs meat, anyway?” after you scarf down this meal.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Sliced Dill Pickle
Monterey Jack Cheese(ContainsMilk)
Tempura Mix(ContainsMilk, Eggs, Wheat)
Cajun Spice Blend
Brioche Buns(ContainsMilk, Eggs, Wheat, Soy)
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Cut potatoes into ½-inch-thick wedges. Finely chop a few pickle slices until you have 2 tsp (4 tsp for 4 servings). (Save remaining pickle slices for serving.) Drain and rinse beans. Trim and mince scallions.
• Toss potatoes on a baking sheet with a drizzle of oil, salt, and pepper. • Roast on top rack until golden brown and crispy, 20-25 minutes.
• While potatoes roast, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, chopped pickle, hot sauce (use as much as you like), and ½ tsp sugar (1 tsp for 4 servings).
• Meanwhile, place half the beans (all for 4 servings) in a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher or fork until mostly smooth. (It’s OK if there are still some larger pieces.) • Stir in Monterey Jack, scallions, half the tempura mix, 2 tsp Cajun Spice (be sure to measure; we sent more), and 2 TBSP water until thoroughly combined. (For 4, use all the tempura mix, 4 tsp Cajun Spice, and ¼ cup water.) Season with salt (we used ¼ tsp; ½ tsp for 4) and pepper. • Divide bean mixture into two mounds (four mounds for 4).
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Using a silicone spatula, add bean mixture mounds to pan and gently press to flatten into patties, each about as wide as a burger bun. Cook until golden brown and crisp, 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. TIP: Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to work in batches, adding another drizzle of oil before each batch.
• Halve and toast buns until golden, then spread cut sides with 2 TBSP butter (4 TBSP for 4 servings). Spread bottom buns with up to half the secret sauce. Fill buns with patties and as much sliced pickle as you like. • Divide sandwiches between plates. Serve with potato wedges and remaining sauce on the side.