It’s time to talk turkey and take this underrated poultry beyond the Thanksgiving table and deli sandwiches. In this meal, ground turkey is spiced with curry powder, ginger, and fresh chili, then simmered in a creamy sauce with chewy bits of dried apricot. It’s served with a mound of aromatic basmati rice in a bowl. The dish then gets a tangy crunch from pickled red cabbage, which could win a veggie beauty contest with its vibrant pink color. You’d be a jive turkey to miss out on this meal!
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Shredded Red Cabbage
Chicken Stock Concentrate
• Wash and dry produce. • Quarter lemon. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Peel and mince or grate half the ginger (all for 4 servings). Thinly slice chili.
• In a small pot, combine rice, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings), and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, in a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine ¾ tsp sugar (1½ tsp for 4 servings) and juice from two lemon wedges (four wedges for 4); stir to dissolve. • Add cabbage and 2 TBSP water (4 TBSP for 4); season with ¼ tsp salt (½ tsp for 4) and pepper. Microwave for 1 minute. Taste and season with salt if needed. Set aside to pickle, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
• Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add curry powder and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. • Add turkey* and garlic powder; season with salt (we used ¾ tsp; 1½ tsp salt for 4 servings) and pepper. Cook, breaking up meat into pieces, until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. • Add scallion whites, ½ TBSP minced ginger (1 TBSP for 4), and half the chili. (Use all the chili if you like spicy food, or leave it out if you’re not a fan of heat!) Cook until softened, 2-3 minutes.
• Stir in jam, sour cream, dried apricots, stock concentrate, ½ cup water (¾ cup for 4 servings), and a squeeze of lemon juice to pan with turkey. Cook until liquid has slightly reduced and turkey is cooked through, 3-5 minutes. • Taste and season with salt and pepper.
• Fluff rice with a fork; taste and season with salt and pepper. • Divide rice and turkey mixture between bowls. Top with cabbage and garnish with scallion greens. Serve.