Honey Roasted Carrot Farro & Kale Salad
with Cranberries, Walnuts & Creamy Herb Dressing
Farro, a variety of hulled wheat, is praised for its chewy texture and nutty flavor. To make this salad really shine, we paired the tasty ancient grain with spicy glazed honey roasted carrots and walnuts, sweet-tart marinated cranberries, lemony dressing, fresh kale, and a creamy herb dressing. This dinner is so good, it’s almost not farro to the other grain bowls in the world.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Veggie Stock Concentrate
Green Herb Blend
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
(Contains Eggs, Milk)
(Contains Tree Nuts)
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add ½ cup farro (1 cup for 4 servings). (Be sure to measure the farro; we sent more.) Cook, stirring, until toasted, 1-2 minutes. • Stir in 3 cups water (5 cups for 4), stock concentrate, and a big pinch of salt. Bring to boil and cook until farro is tender, 25-30 minutes. TIP: If you end up with any excess liquid, simply pour it out. Alternatively, if liquid evaporates before farro is done, add a splash more water.
• While farro cooks, trim, peel, and cut carrots on a diagonal into ½-inch-thick pieces. Toss on a baking sheet with a drizzle of oil, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. • Roast on top rack for 20 minutes (you’ll finish the carrots in step 5).
• Meanwhile, zest and halve lemon (for 4 servings, zest and halve one lemon; cut remaining into wedges). Pick parsley leaves from stems; finely chop leaves. Finely chop chives. Remove and discard any large stems from kale; chop leaves into bite-size pieces. • In a small bowl, combine juice from half the lemon and 1 TBSP hot water (2 TBSP for 4). Add cranberries and set aside. • In a separate small bowl, whisk together sour cream, ranch dressing, chopped parsley, chives, a squeeze of lemon juice, ¼ tsp sugar (½ tsp for 4), and a pinch of lemon zest to taste. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Place kale in a large bowl. Add a drizzle of oil and a squeeze of remaining lemon juice; season lightly with salt. Massage leaves until tender, 30-60 seconds. TIP: Don’t skip this step—massaging helps the kale leaves wilt slightly, lending a tender (never fibrous!) texture. • Add drained farro and soaked cranberries (draining first). Season with salt and pepper. Add as much dressing as you like and toss to combine.
• Once carrots have roasted 20 minutes, carefully remove sheet from oven. Top with honey, walnuts, and chili flakes to taste. Carefully toss to coat. • Return to top rack until carrots are tender and glazed, 2-3 minutes more.
• Divide farro and kale salad between plates or shallow bowls. Top with honeyroasted carrots and walnuts. Serve.