Slow-Roasted Citrus Trout
with Chive Crème Fraîche, Rice Pilaf & Blood Orange Pistachio Salad
Fishing for a sea-faring meal that’s light, bright, and super satisfying? You’ve come to the right place: this dish is all that and then some! Trout fillets are layered with lemon and blood orange slices, then slow-roasted until deliciously tender. For a dynamic finish, the roasty citrusy trout is drizzled with chive crème fraîche sauce. Served alongside savory rice pilaf and an arugula, pistachio, and orange salad, one bite will have you hooked!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Sunkist® Blood Orange
Chicken Stock Concentrate
(Contains Tree Nuts)
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 325 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Zest and halve orange and lemon, keeping them separate. Thinly slice half the orange and half the lemon into rounds; stack rounds and cut into half-moons. (You’ll use the rest of each later.) Halve and peel onion; finely dice one half (dice whole onion for 4 servings).
• Pat trout* dry with paper towels; season generously with salt and pepper. Place in an 8-by-8-inch baking dish (for 4 servings, use a 9-by-13-inch baking dish). Drizzle each fillet with olive oil, then rub with orange zest and garlic powder. Layer orange and lemon slices on top, then drizzle with more olive oil (about 1 TBSP per fillet). • Roast on middle rack until trout is opaque and cooked through, 25-30 minutes.
• Meanwhile, melt 1 TBSP butter in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until softened, 4-5 minutes. • Stir in rice to coat. • Add stock concentrate, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings), and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• Meanwhile, finely chop chives. Roughly chop pistachios. Peel and dice remaining orange. TIP: Place orange cut side down on a cutting board. Use a knife to easily remove the peel, then dice fruit. • In a small bowl, combine crème fraîche, lemon zest, and half the chives. Season with salt and pepper. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency.
• In a large bowl, toss arugula, diced orange, and pistachios with a large drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
• Fluff rice pilaf with a fork; season with salt and pepper. • Divide pilaf and salad between plates. Top pilaf with trout; remove orange and lemon slices. Drizzle trout with chive crème fraîche. Sprinkle everything with remaining chives and serve. TIP: For a festive presentation, keep citrus slices on top of trout and serve with chive crème fraîche on the side. We don’t recommend eating the citrus rind.