The bold flavors in this skillet supper will transport your taste buds to the Southwest. There’s tender rice, bites of chicken sausage, and sautéed pepper and onion. It’s all topped with gooey melted cheese, fresh salsa, and a dollop of lime crema—plus a drizzle of hot sauce if you like things spicy. Need we say more?
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Long Green Pepper
Italian Chicken Sausage Mix
Southwest Spice Blend
Chicken Stock Concentrate
Mexican Cheese Blend(ContainsMilk)
• Heat broiler to high. Wash and dry all produce. • In a small pot, combine rice, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Meanwhile, zest and quarter lime. Dice tomato. Halve, peel, and thinly slice onion. Core, deseed, and dice green pepper.
• In a small bowl, combine sour cream, a pinch of salt, and lime juice to taste. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. • In a separate small bowl, combine tomato, a drizzle of olive oil, a pinch of salt, and as much lime juice and lime zest as you like.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large, preferably ovenproof, pan over medium-high heat. Add sausage* and cook, breaking up meat into pieces, 1-2 minutes. • Add onion, green pepper, and Southwest Spice. Cook, stirring, until veggies are lightly browned and sausage is cooked through, 5-7 minutes.
• Add cooked rice, stock concentrate, 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings), and ¼ cup water (1⁄3 cup for 4) to pan. Stir to thoroughly combine. TIP: If pan isn’t ovenproof, transfer mixture now to a baking dish.
• Top sausage mixture with Mexican cheese. • Broil until cheese is bubbly, 2-3 minutes. TIP: Watch carefully to avoid burning.
• Top broiled sausage mixture with salsa and crema. Drizzle with hot sauce if desired. Divide between plates and serve with any remaining lime wedges on the side.