We like to think the sixth Spice Girl is Shawarma Spice and she spins slowly for hours. Sorry, is that weird? We’re just so stoked for our Shawarma Spice Blend that we let our imagination run wild. This mixture of warming spices gives chicken the flavors that we crave from shawarma... but without a rotating spit. An easy sweet spiced pan sauce made with apricot jam gives the chicken even more flavor. Shawarma spices also perk up the accompanying almond rice while a creamy yogurt dressing over the cucumber and tomato salad gives the dish a cool tang. This kaleidoscope of flavors is what we want, what we really, really want from our dinner!
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Sliced Almonds(ContainsTree Nuts)
Shawarma Spice Blend
Chicken Stock Concentrate
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add almonds and half the Shawarma Spice (you’ll use the rest in the next step). Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. • Stir in rice, half the stock concentrates, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings), and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to use in step 5.
• Pat chicken* dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper, then rub all over with remaining Shawarma Spice. • Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and set aside to rest.
• While chicken cooks, wash and dry produce. • Quarter cucumber lengthwise; slice into ¼-inch-thick pieces. Quarter tomatoes. Quarter lemon. • In a medium bowl, combine cucumber, tomato, yogurt, a drizzle of olive oil, and a big squeeze of lemon juice. Season generously with salt and pepper. Taste and add more lemon juice if desired.
• Return pan used for chicken over medium-high heat. Add jam, remaining stock concentrates, and ¼ cup water (1⁄3 cup for 4 servings). Bring to a simmer and cook until just thickened, 3-4 minutes. • Turn off heat; stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4) until melted. Stir in a squeeze of lemon juice and hot sauce to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in ½ TBSP butter (1 TBSP for 4 servings). Season generously with salt and pepper.
• Thinly slice chicken crosswise. • Divide chicken, rice, and salad between plates. Drizzle sauce over chicken. Serve with any remaining lemon wedges on the side.