Broccoli and bacon are an epic pairing—the earthy veg goes so well with bacon’s rich, savory notes. Here, the duo stars in a hearty dish featuring orecchiette, a rounded pasta that’s perfect for scooping up the mix-ins and a creamy, aromatic Parmesan sauce. Lemon wedges are caramelized in the oven for extra smoky sweetness—some of the juice goes into the sauce, while the rest of the wedges are served alongside for an elegant finishing touch.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Colavita Orecchiette Pasta(ContainsWheat)
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Wash and dry all produce. • Halve, peel, and dice onion. Peel and thinly slice garlic. Dice tomato. Zest and quarter lemon. Pick basil leaves from stems; roughly chop leaves. Cut broccoli florets into bite-size pieces if necessary.
• Toss broccoli on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of oil. Season with half the Italian Seasoning (you’ll use the rest later), salt, and pepper. Place lemon wedges cut sides down on same sheet. • Roast on top rack until broccoli is golden brown and crispy and lemon is softened and lightly caramelized, 15-20 minutes.
• Once water is boiling, add orecchiette to pot. Cook until al dente, 15-17 minutes. • Reserve ¾ cup pasta cooking water (1½ cups for 4 servings), then drain.
• While pasta cooks, add bacon* to a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook, turning occasionally, until crispy and cooked through, 6-10 minutes. • Turn off heat; transfer to a paper-towellined plate. Carefully pour off some bacon fat, leaving just enough to coat the bottom of the pan. • Once cool enough to handle, roughly chop bacon.
• Add onion to pan with reserved bacon fat over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 4-5 minutes. • Add garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until garlic is slightly golden, 1-2 minutes. • Add tomato, remaining Italian Seasoning, and a pinch of chili flakes. Cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
• Add orecchiette, roasted broccoli, and half the bacon to pan with aromatics. • Stir in ½ cup reserved pasta cooking water, half the Parmesan, and half the chopped basil until combined. • Add as much lemon zest and juice from roasted lemon wedges as you like. Season generously with salt and pepper. (TIP: Your lemons should be soft enough to squeeze with tongs if they’re too hot to handle.) If needed, stir in more pasta cooking water a splash at a time until orecchiette is thoroughly coated in sauce. • Divide pasta between bowls; top with remaining bacon, chopped basil, and Parmesan. Serve with any remaining roasted lemon wedges on the side. Garnish with more chili flakes if desired.