David Burtka’s Grilled Steak & Asparagus Salad
with Farro, Mushrooms & Lemony Ricotta
Professional chef David has a sixth sense when it comes to taking simple, fresh ingredients and next-leveling them into top-notch cuisine. Here, he creates an infused oil from scratch, using fresh thyme and garlic, and then whisks in Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and lemon zest to use as a dressing for chewy farro with grilled asparagus, scallions, and garlicky sautéed mushrooms. It’s spooned over a creamy base of lemony ricotta and topped with fire-grilled bavette steaks that are slightly charred on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. Husband Neil Patrick Harris loves all of the flavors of this dish, and thinks you will too!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Mushroom Stock Concentrate
Not included in your delivery
• Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add farro; cook until tender, 20-25 minutes. • Drain and return farro to pot. Stir in stock concentrates; season with salt and pepper.
• While farro cooks, preheat a well-oiled grill to medium-high heat. (TIP: If using a grill pan, you’ll heat it in step 5.) Wash and dry produce. • Trim and discard woody bottom ends from asparagus. Trim ends from scallions. Peel and mince or grate garlic. Halve thyme sprigs crosswise. Zest and quarter lemon. Slice mushrooms (skip if your mushrooms are pre-sliced!). • In a large bowl, toss asparagus and scallions with a large drizzle of oil, a big pinch of salt (we used 1⁄2 tsp; 1 tsp for 4 servings), and pepper. Set aside.
• In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine garlic, half the garlic powder, half the thyme sprigs (all for 4 servings), and 3 TBSP olive oil (6 TBSP for 4). Cover with plastic wrap; microwave for 30 seconds. Set aside to infuse. • In a medium bowl, whisk together ricotta, half the lemon zest, juice from two lemon wedges (four wedges for 4), and 2 TBSP olive oil (4 TBSP for 4) until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and remaining garlic powder; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and slightly crispy, 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove pan from heat.
• Pat steak* dry with paper towels. Season all over with salt and pepper. • Add steak and marinated veggies to grill. (TIP: For a grill pan, oil and heat over medium-high heat. Work in batches.) Grill steak to desired doneness, 4-8 minutes per side. Grill veggies, turning occasionally, until slightly charred and tender, 5-6 minutes (grills can vary). • Remove from heat. Transfer steak to a cutting board to rest for at least 5 minutes. • PAN ALTERNATIVE: Cook marinated veggies in a large oiled pan over medium-high heat until charred and tender, 4-6 minutes. Transfer to a plate. (TIP: If pan is dry, add a drizzle of oil.) Cook steak in same pan over medium-high heat, 5-7 minutes per side (work in batches for 4).
• While steak rests, remove thyme sprigs from garlic oil; discard thyme sprigs. Whisk in mustard, remaining lemon zest, and juice from remaining lemon until smooth and combined; season with salt and pepper. Reserve 1 TBSP dressing (2 TBSP for 4 servings) for serving. • Slice asparagus and scallions into 2-inch pieces; add to pot with drained farro. Stir in mushrooms and remaining dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
• Slice steak against the grain. • Spread ricotta in an even layer across bottoms of shallow bowls. Spoon farro salad over ricotta and top with steak. Drizzle reserved dressing over steak and serve.