Grilling Cheese Tikka Masala
over Rice with Garlic Roti-Style Tortillas
Legend has it that tikka masala was invented in the U.K. when a chef made the rich gravy with a can of tomato soup. While our vegetarian version here skips the can, it does include other clever shortcuts. Starting with our ready-to-cook grilling cheese that stands in for paneer, a fresh Indian-style cheese that can require hours of straining to take form. Like paneer, the grilling cheese holds its shape when cooked in the curry and softens without melting. As brilliant as that is, we’re most proud of our garlic butter tortillas, which are a convincing stunt double for roti. Brush flour tortillas with garlic butter, cook them in a pan, and they blister and char much like the whole wheat Indian flatbread—but without hand-rolling the dough! Thanks to these time-savers, this is one curry in a hurry.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Curry Base Sauce
(Contains Soy, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
• In a medium pot, combine rice, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, wash and dry produce. • Cut grilling cheese into ½-inch cubes. Transfer to a plate; chill in refrigerator until ready to use in step 4. • Halve, peel, and finely dice onion. Dice tomato into ½-inch pieces. Roughly chop cilantro. Peel and mince or grate garlic.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and tomato; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5-7 minutes. TIP: If needed, add a splash of water to help onion soften. • Stir in half the cilantro; cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. • Stir in curry sauce base, ½ cup water (1 cup for 4 servings), 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4), and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
• Add grilling cheese to pan with sauce; stir to combine. • Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat. Cook until cheese softens, 2-3 minutes. TIP: If sauce seems too thick, add a splash of water. • Remove from heat. Stir in half the yogurt. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
• Meanwhile, place 2 TBSP butter (4 TBSP for 4 servings) in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until melted, 30 seconds. Stir in garlic. • Brush both sides of tortillas with garlic butter. Place tortillas in a second large, dry pan over medium-high heat. Cook until golden brown, 30 seconds per side. TIP: You may need to work in batches. • Sprinkle each tortilla with a pinch of salt.
• Fluff rice with a fork. • Divide rice between shallow bowls or plates. Top with grilling cheese tikka masala. Drizzle with remaining yogurt and garnish with remaining cilantro. Serve roti-style tortillas on the side.