Our chefs can’t get enough of the warming, aromatic flavors of shawarma. Here, they’ve whipped up a version that only calls for one pan, so you can spend less time washing dishes and more time around the dinner table. Chicken is marinated in shawarma spices and yogurt, then cooked until golden and tender. It’s served over buttery rice with a crunchy, refreshing Persian salad and creamy dill sauce for a weeknight-friendly dinner that’s got it all.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Shawarma Spice Blend
• In a small pot, combine rice, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, wash and dry all produce. • Place chicken* in a large bowl and pat dry with paper towels. Add half the yogurt and half the garlic powder (you’ll use the rest of each later), 2 tsp Shawarma Spice (use the rest however you like), 1 TBSP olive oil, salt (we used 1 tsp), and pepper. (For 4 servings, use all the Shawarma Spice, 2 TBSP olive oil, and 2 tsp salt.) • Toss until chicken is evenly coated.
• Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. TIP: If chicken begins to brown too quickly, lower heat. • Transfer to a cutting board to rest.
• While chicken cooks, trim and finely dice cucumbers. Finely dice tomato. Pick and roughly chop fronds from dill. Zest and halve lemon. Halve, peel, and thinly slice half the shallot (whole shallot for 4 servings). • In a medium bowl, combine cucumbers, tomato, half the chopped dill, 2 TBSP olive oil (4 TBSP for 4), a big squeeze of lemon juice, and as much sliced shallot as you like. Season with salt and pepper, then taste and add more lemon juice if you like.
• In a small bowl, combine sour cream, lemon zest, remaining yogurt, remaining chopped dill, and a pinch of remaining garlic powder to taste. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and add more garlic powder if desired.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) and season with salt and pepper. Divide between plates or wide bowls. • Slice chicken crosswise; place on top of rice. Divide salad between plates. Drizzle everything with creamy dill sauce and serve.