Portobellos are both juicy and meaty mushrooms, making them the perfect veggie sandwich filler. Our chef’s went all in on Meatless Mondays and built a sandwich around these ‘shrooms: toasted ciabatta are slathered in creamy pesto mayo, then topped with the portobellos, Parm frico, and charred tomato. Plus, no sandwich would be complete without potatoes on the side, which you can dip into any extra pesto mayo. You’ll be saying “this sandwich is Frico delicious” with each and every bite.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Ciabatta Roll(ContainsSoy, Wheat)
• Adjust racks to top and middle positions and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Cut potatoes into ½-inch-thick wedges. Toss on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of oil, half the Italian Seasoning (you’ll use the rest later), salt, and pepper. • Roast on top rack until browned and crispy, 20-25 minutes.
• While potatoes roast, lightly oil a second baking sheet. Sprinkle Parmesan into two 3-inch-wide circles (four circles for 4 servings) on prepared sheet. • Bake on middle rack until cheese is golden brown and crisp, 6-10 minutes. TIP: Check the cheese often to make sure it doesn’t burn. • Let frico cool on sheet until hardened, then carefully transfer to a papertowel-lined plate
• Meanwhile, using the tip of a spoon, remove and discard black gills from undersides of portobello mushrooms; trim any large stems if necessary. Slice tomato into ½-inch-thick rounds. Zest and quarter lemon. • In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, pesto, and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Drizzle both sides of each mushroom with oil; rub to evenly coat. Season all over with remaining Italian Seasoning, salt, and pepper. Arrange gill sides down on sheet used for frico. • Roast on middle rack until slightly tender, 14-16 minutes.
• Season tomato all over with salt and pepper. • Heat a drizzle of oil in a large, preferably nonstick, pan over mediumhigh heat. Add tomato and cook until lightly browned and slightly softened, 1-2 minutes per side. • Turn off heat; transfer to a plate.
• Halve and toast ciabattas; spread cut sides with half the pesto mayo. Fill ciabattas with mushrooms, tomato, and frico. • Divide sandwiches between plates along with potato wedges; sprinkle potatoes with lemon zest to taste. Serve with remaining pesto mayo and any remaining lemon wedges on the side.