Sausage and Lemony Herb Risotto
with Pistachios & Scallions
Sure, whipping up a creamy risotto requires a little extra attention (and stirring), but it’s so worth it. This version is full of savory chicken sausage and tender sauteed scallions and garlic. It’s finished with a melty Italian cheese blend and lots of fresh parsley and lemon juice to cut a bright streak through that richness; then it’s topped with a sprinkle of lemon zest, scallion greens, and toasted pistachios for crunch. A perfect dinner for a chilly night in.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Italian Chicken Sausage Mix
Chicken Stock Concentrate
(Contains Tree Nuts)
Italian Cheese Blend
Not included in your delivery
• In a medium pot, bring 5 cups water (8 cups for 4 servings) to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer. (You’ll use it in Step 3.) • Wash and dry produce. Halve, peel, and dice half the onion (whole onion for 4). Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens; mince greens. Peel and mince garlic. Zest and quarter lemon.
• Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add diced onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened and lightly browned, 4-5 minutes. • Add sausage* and cook, breaking up meat into pieces, until browned, 3-4 minutes. • Add 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings), scallion whites, garlic, and rice. Cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is fragrant and rice is translucent, 1-2 minutes. Season with a big pinch of salt (we used ½ tsp; 1 tsp for 4).
• Add 1 cup hot water and stock concentrates to pan with rice mixture. Cook, stirring, until liquid has mostly absorbed. Repeat with remaining water—adding ½ cup at a time and stirring until liquid has mostly absorbed—until rice is al dente and mixture is creamy, 25-30 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper. TIP: Depending on the size of your pan, you may need a little more or a little less water.
• While risotto cooks, finely chop parsley (use leaves and thin stems; discard any thicker stems). Roughly chop pistachios.
• Once risotto is done, remove from heat; stir in ¾ of the Italian cheese blend, half the parsley, half the scallion greens, 2 TBSP butter (4 TBSP for 4 servings), and a squeeze of lemon juice (juice from half the lemon for 4) until melted and combined. TIP: The risotto should be a little loose and saucy right before serving; it will thicken as it cools, so add more water if necessary. • Taste and season generously with salt and pepper.
• Divide risotto between plates. Top with pistachios, remaining Italian cheese blend, remaining parsley, remaining scallion greens, and lemon zest to taste. Serve immediately with remaining lemon wedges on the side.
Chicken Sausage is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 165°.