If you’ve been on the request line for light, tasty, satisfying and vegan dinner ideas, this one’s going out to you. First you’ll smash chickpeas (to create jagged edges for browning) and roast with sweet potato, cumin, and curry until crispy, then add to sauteed peas, onion, garlic, ginger, with a bright squeeze of lemon. Stuff all that warm goodness into crisp, cool lettuce leaves, drizzle with a tangy red pepper-cilantro sauce and it’s vegan wrap music for your taste buds.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Red Pepper Jam
• Adjust rack to top position (top and middle positions for 4 servings) and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Dice sweet potato into ¼-inch pieces. • Drain and rinse chickpeas; thoroughly pat dry with paper towels. On a clean flat work surface, place chickpeas between 2 large pieces of plastic wrap. Smash with a mallet or the bottom of a pan until broken apart (chickpeas should not be completely mashed).
• In a large bowl, combine sweet potato, smashed chickpeas, half the cumin (all for 4 servings), 1 tsp curry powder (2 tsp for 4), a large drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper; toss until evenly coated. Spread out on a baking sheet. • Roast on top rack until browned and tender, 20-25 minutes. (For 4, divide everything between 2 sheets; roast on top and middle racks, swapping positions halfway through.)
• While veggies roast, halve, peel, and finely dice onion. Peel and mince or grate garlic. Peel and mince or grate ginger. Halve lemon. Roughly chop cilantro. Trim and discard root end from lettuce; separate leaves.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and softened, 6-8 minutes. • Reduce heat to medium and add peas. Cook, stirring occasionally until browned, 2-4 minutes more. • Add garlic and ginger to pan; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1-3 minutes.
• Stir in remaining curry powder, ½ cup water (1 cup for 4 servings), ¼ tsp salt (½ tsp for 4), and juice from half the lemon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until water has mostly evaporated, 2-4 minutes more. • Stir roasted chickpea mixture into pan. Taste and season filling with salt and pepper if desired.
• In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine jam, cilantro, 1 TBSP water (2 TBSP for 4 servings), and juice from remaining lemon. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave until warmed through, 20-30 seconds.
• Divide lettuce leaves between plates (pat dry if needed). Fill leaves with chickpea filling. Drizzle with as much sauce as you like and serve.