There are few combos more satisfying in this world than crunchy crust + gooey cheese + saucy meatballs. Here, we channel the flavor combo into some seriously epic flatbreads that are ready in just 30 minutes from start to finish. Our secret? The ultimate weeknight meatball hack: pre-cooked turkey meatballs, which we toss in an herby tomato sauce. They’re layered over the crusts with mozzarella and roasted pepper and onion, then baked until they reach crispy-melty-saucy perfection. Can your ’za do that? Yeah, we didn’t think so.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Green Bell Pepper
Pre-Cooked Turkey Meatballs(ContainsEggs, Wheat)
• Adjust rack to top position (top and middle positions for 4 servings) and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Halve, core, and thinly slice bell pepper into strips. Halve, peel, and cut onion into ½-inch-thick wedges.
• Line a baking sheet with foil. Toss bell pepper and onion on prepared sheet with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. • Roast on top rack until veggies are almost tender, 8-10 minutes (they’ll continue roasting later).
• While veggies roast, in a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 tsp Italian Seasoning (we sent more), ¼ cup water, 2 TBSP butter, and ½ tsp sugar. (For 4 servings, use 2 tsp Italian Seasoning, 1⁄3 cup water, 3 TBSP butter, and 1 tsp sugar.) • Microwave until water is hot and butter has melted, 1 minute. • Whisk in tomato paste until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
• Slice meatballs* into thirds. • Place flatbreads on a clean work surface. Spread half the sauce over flatbreads. • Toss meatballs in bowl with remaining sauce; top flatbreads with meatballs and any remaining sauce from bowl.
• Once veggies are almost tender, transfer to a plate. Carefully remove and discard foil from sheet and wipe off any excess oil. • Top flatbreads with bell pepper and as much onion as you like; evenly sprinkle with mozzarella. Place flatbreads on sheet used for veggies. (For 4 servings, divide flatbreads between 2 sheets; bake on top and middle racks, swapping rack positions halfway through baking.) • Bake on top rack until flatbreads are toasted, cheese has melted, meatballs are warmed through, and veggies are lightly charred, 8-10 minutes.
• Transfer flatbreads to a cutting board. Slice into pieces, divide between plates, and serve.