Crunchy Curried Chickpea Bowls
with Kale, Golden Raisins & Pickled Cabbage
Buckle up, because the power bowl just got a whole lot more powerful. Yep, this dish is a veritable one-bowl feast that’s positively bursting with flavor. The base is savory, carrot-studded rice, and it’s topped with pickled red cabbage, tender sautéed kale, curry-spiced crispy chickpeas, golden raisins, and a tangy curry-lemon dressing. It doesn’t get much better than that.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Veggie Stock Concentrate
Shredded Red Cabbage
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Drain and rinse chickpeas; dry thoroughly with paper towels. Trim, peel, and quarter carrot lengthwise; cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick pieces. Zest and quarter lemon. Remove and discard any large stems from kale; finely chop leaves. Place raisins in a small bowl with enough hot water to just cover.
• Toss chickpeas on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of olive oil, half the curry powder (you’ll use more in the next step), salt, and pepper. • Roast on top rack until crispy, 18-20 minutes. (It’s natural for chickpeas to pop a bit as they roast.)
• While chickpeas roast, melt 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) in a small pot over high heat. Add carrot and ¼ tsp curry powder (½ tsp for 4). (You’ll use the rest of the curry powder in the next step.) Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. • Add rice, 1 cup water (1¾ cups for 4), stock concentrate, and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• Meanwhile, in a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine juice from three lemon wedges and 1 tsp sugar (six wedges and 2 tsp sugar for 4 servings); stir to dissolve. Add cabbage and 2 TBSP water (4 TBSP for 4); season with salt and pepper. Microwave for 1 minute. Set aside, tossing occasionally, until ready to serve. • In a second small bowl, combine sour cream, lemon zest, remaining curry powder, and juice from remaining lemon. Season with salt and pepper. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency.
• Heat a large drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add kale and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5-7 minutes. • Stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) until melted. Remove from heat.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) and season with salt and pepper. • Divide rice between bowls. Top with kale, pickled cabbage (draining first), and chickpeas in separate sections. Drain raisins and sprinkle over top (roughly chop first if desired). Drizzle with dressing and serve.