Garlicky Sumac Chicken & Chickpea Bowls
with Basmati Rice, Lemony Hummus Sauce & Parsley
This hearty spiced chicken and rice bowl will fill you up and warm you through and through. Lemony sumac-spiced chicken is seared to a golden brown while chickpeas roast alongside red onion wedges in a garlicky olive oil until crispy. It’s all served over a bed of fragrant basmati rice. And since the secret’s always in the sauce, you’ll finish things off with a drizzle of herby lemon hummus and a vibrant sprinkle of fresh parsley.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Chicken Stock Concentrate
Chicken Breast Strips
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Drain and rinse chickpeas; dry thoroughly with paper towels. (TIP: Be sure to remove as much moisture as possible—this will help reduce the popping that can happen as chickpeas roast!) Halve, peel, and cut onion into ½-inch-thick wedges.
• Toss chickpeas and onion on a baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil, half the garlic powder (you’ll use the rest later), salt, and pepper. • Roast on top rack, tossing halfway through, until chickpeas are crispy and onion is tender and lightly charred, 18-20 minutes.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add rice, stock concentrate, and ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings); season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, pat chicken* dry with paper towels and cut into bitesize pieces if needed. Season all over with half the sumac (all for 4 servings), remaining garlic powder, salt, and pepper. • Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken in a single layer; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 4-6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
• Strip parsley leaves from stems; mince leaves. Zest and quarter lemon. • In a small bowl, combine hummus, 2 tsp water (4 tsp for 4 servings), a pinch of parsley, a pinch of lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon juice (big squeeze for 4), and a drizzle of olive oil (large drizzle for 4).
• Fluff rice with a fork; taste and season with salt and pepper. Stir in chicken. • Divide chicken-rice mixture between bowls and top with roasted chickpeas and onion. Drizzle with hummus sauce and garnish with remaining parsley. Serve with remaining lemon wedges on the side.
Chicken is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 165°.