Salsa fresca is our favorite way to feel warm weather vibes all year round. It’s juicy and tangy with a touch of heat, making it the perfect complement to crispy, turmeric-and-cumin-spiced barramundi. The fillets are served on top of steamy yellow rice and blanketed in lime crema and said salsa. No matter the temperature, one bite of this delicious dish will make everything feel a whole lot sunnier.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Mushroom Stock Concentrate
• Wash and dry produce. • Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Halve tomatoes. Mince cilantro. Zest and quarter lime (for 4 servings, zest one lime and quarter both). Mince chili.
• Melt 1 TBSP butter in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add half the scallion whites and ¼ tsp turmeric (½ tsp for 4 servings); cook until fragrant, 1 minute. (You’ll use more turmeric later.) • Stir in rice, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4), stock concentrate, and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, in a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, cilantro, remaining scallion whites, and juice from half the lime (whole lime for 4 servings). Season with salt and pepper. If you like your salsa spicy, stir in chili to taste.
• In a small bowl, combine sour cream, a big squeeze of lime juice, and as much lime zest as you like. Stir in water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
• In a second small bowl, combine cumin and ¼ tsp remaining turmeric (½ tsp for 4 servings). (Be sure to measure the turmeric; we sent more.) • Pat barramundi* dry with paper towels. Season all over with salt and pepper. Season flesh sides with spice mixture. • Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large, preferably nonstick, pan over medium-high heat. Add barramundi skin sides down and cook until skin is crispy, 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook until fish is opaque and cooked through, 2-3 minutes more.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in scallion greens and 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) and season with salt and pepper. • Divide rice between plates. Top rice with barramundi; garnish with salsa fresca and crema. Serve with any remaining lime wedges on the side.