Spicy Peruvian Chicken and Loaded Rice
with Pickled Jalapeño & Creamy Salsa Verde
Peru has shared many gifts with the world: Machu Picchu, quinoa, piscos sours. We’d also add Peruvian chicken to that list. Our chefs created a recipe that’s quick to cook while still capturing the flavors of the classic poultry dish. Tender, succulent, and spiced just right, it’s a bird we go cuckoo for. And do not sleep on the accompaniments! There’s garlicky rice that’s amped up with tomatoes, scallions, and lime. But perhaps the scene stealer here is the creamy cilantro sauce that’s tangy with lime and a little spicy from pickled jalapeño. We like it drizzled over the chicken and rice but trust us when we say we wanted to put this sauce on everything!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Fajita Spice Blend
Chicken Stock Concentrate
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry produce. • Peel and mince or grate garlic. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Thinly slice jalapeño into rounds, removing ribs and seeds for less heat. Zest and quarter lime. Finely chop cilantro. Dice tomato into ½-inch pieces.
• Reserve a pinch of garlic (you’ll use it in step 5). • Melt 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) in a small pot over medium heat; add scallion whites, remaining garlic, and 1 tsp Fajita Spice (2 tsp for 4) to pot. Cook, stirring, until softened and fragrant, 2-3 minutes. • Add rice, stock concentrate, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4), and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine jalapeño, juice from half the lime, ¼ tsp sugar, and a pinch of salt. (For 4 servings, use juice from one lime, ½ tsp sugar, and a big pinch of salt.) Microwave for 30 seconds. Set aside to pickle, stirring occasionally.
• Pat chicken* dry with paper towels. Season all over with remaining Fajita Spice, salt, and pepper. • Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. • Turn off heat; transfer to a cutting board to rest.
• While chicken cooks, remove jalapeño from pickling liquid (reserve liquid). Reserve a few rounds for garnish; mince remaining. • In a second small bowl, combine cilantro, mayonnaise, sour cream, reserved garlic, a squeeze of lime, a big pinch of lime zest, and a pinch of minced jalapeño to taste. (TIP: If you like some zesty heat, add a small splash of jalapeño pickling liquid in place of, or in addition to, lime juice.) Add water 1 tsp at a time until sauce reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
• Fluff rice with a fork. Stir in tomato, half the scallion greens, remaining lime zest, a squeeze of lime juice, and as much remaining minced jalapeño as you like. Season with salt and pepper. • Thinly slice chicken crosswise. • Divide rice between bowls and top with chicken. Squeeze juice from remaining lime over chicken. Drizzle everything with creamy salsa verde; garnish with remaining scallion greens and as many reserved jalapeño rounds as you like. Serve.