Middle Eastern Chickpea Bowls
with Savory Pistachio Rice & Garlicky White Sauce
We swoon for shawarma. For this veggie-centric spin, we swap the traditional spit-roasted meat for roasted chickpeas, onion, and tomatoes, but keep all the same aromatic, warming spices. It’s all served over ultra-flavorful, spiced basmati rice that’s studded with pistachios. If you’re anything like us, one of our favorite parts about shawarma is the sauce selection—and don’t worry, we didn’t skimp. Drizzle over hot sauce and a creamy, garlicky white sauce, then prepare to be totally bowled over.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
(Contains Tree Nuts)
Veggie Stock Concentrate
Shawarma Spice Blend
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Halve, peel, and cut onion into ½-inchthick wedges; mince a few wedges until you have 2 TBSP. Peel and mince or grate garlic. Roughly chop pistachios. Drain and rinse chickpeas; pat very dry with paper towels. Roughly chop cilantro. Zest and quarter lemon. • 4 SERVINGS: Adjust racks to top and middle positions. Mince a few onion wedges until you have 4 TBSP.
• Melt 1 TBSP butter in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add minced onion, half the garlic, half the pistachios (save the rest for serving), half the Shawarma Spice (you’ll use the rest in the next step), and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. • Stir in rice, ¾ cup water, stock concentrate, and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2 TBSP butter, a medium pot, and 1½ cups water.
• Meanwhile, toss onion wedges, tomatoes, and chickpeas on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of olive oil, remaining Shawarma Spice, pepper, and a few pinches of salt. • Roast on top rack, tossing halfway through, until veggies are tender and lightly charred and chickpeas are crispy, 18-20 minutes. • 4 SERVINGS: Divide everything between 2 baking sheets; roast on top and middle racks, tossing veggies and swapping rack positions halfway through roasting. • TIP: It’s natural for chickpeas to pop a bit.
• While veggies and chickpeas roast, in a small bowl, combine sour cream and remaining garlic to taste. Season with salt. Stir in water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in 1 TBSP butter and half the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. • Once veggies and chickpeas are done, remove from oven and toss with lemon zest.
• Divide rice between shallow bowls. Top with veggies and chickpeas. Drizzle with garlicky white sauce and hot sauce to taste. Sprinkle with remaining pistachios and cilantro. Top with lemon juice to taste; serve with remaining lemon wedges on the side.