Bowls are way past “having a moment.” They’ve become a pillar of our lunches and dinners. Why? It’s simple: everything’s better in a bowl! (Nice knowing you, plates.) But seriously, the customizable combo of carbs, protein, veggies, and a drizzle of delicious sauce cannot be denied. True to form, this Tex-Mex rendition is fully loaded. Steamy cilantro-lime rice is topped with saucy spiced ground pork, charred poblano and onion, salsa fresca, and smoky red pepper crema. Who needs the tortilla when you’ve got all that?
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Smoky Red Pepper Crema(ContainsMilk, Soy)
• In a small pot, combine rice, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, wash and dry produce. • Finely dice tomato. Halve, peel, and cut onion into ½-inch-thick wedges; mince one wedge until you have 1 TBSP (2 TBSP for 4 servings). Zest and quarter lime. Core, deseed, and dice poblano into ½-inch pieces. Mince cilantro.
• In a small bowl, combine tomato, minced onion, and a big squeeze of lime juice; season with salt. • Add smoky red pepper crema to a separate small bowl. Stir in water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium pan (use a large pan for 4 servings) over medium-high heat. Add poblano and onion wedges. Season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly charred, 7-9 minutes. • Transfer to a plate.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Add pork* and a big pinch of salt. Cook, breaking up meat into pieces, until browned, 4-6 minutes. • Stir in Tex-Mex paste and ¼ cup water (1⁄3 cup for 4 servings) until combined. Bring to a simmer and cook until mixture is saucy and pork is cooked through, 1-2 minutes more.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in lime zest and half the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. TIP: Stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) for extra richness. • Divide rice between bowls and top with veggies, saucy pork, salsa, crema, remaining cilantro, and any remaining sauce from pan. Serve with remaining lime wedges on the side.