Bavette Steak & Roasted Garlic Pan Sauce
with Mashed Potatoes & Asparagus
Serious about steak? Our chefs are, too. That’s why they took an already-luxurious cut—bavette steak—to the next level by topping it with an equally luxurious pan sauce. Here, roasted garlic and rich beef demi-glace mingle with the fond (aka the crispy bits and drippings left by the seared steak) to create a condiment that you’ll want to drizzle over just about everything. Speaking of delicious things to drizzle with sauce, we’re serving up sides of chive-flecked mashed potatoes and crisp roasted asparagus.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Peel garlic; place whole clove in the center of a small piece of foil. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cinch into a packet. Trim and discard woody bottom ends from asparagus. Dice potatoes into ½-inch pieces. Thinly slice chives.
• Place garlic foil packet on a baking sheet. • Roast on middle rack for 15 minutes, then add asparagus to same sheet. Carefully toss with a large drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. • Return to middle rack until garlic is softened and asparagus is browned and tender, 10-12 minutes more.
• Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large pot with enough salted water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, 15-20 minutes. • Reserve ½ cup potato cooking liquid, then drain and return potatoes to pot. Mash until smooth. Stir in sour cream, half the chives, salt, and pepper. Add reserved potato cooking liquid a splash at a time as needed until potatoes are creamy. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While potatoes cook, pat steak* very dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper. • Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook to desired doneness, 5-7 minutes per side. • Turn off heat; transfer to a cutting board to rest. Wipe out pan.
• Once garlic is done, carefully transfer to a cutting board and mash with a fork until smooth. • Melt 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) in pan used for steak over medium-high heat. Add garlic (start with half and add more if desired); cook for 30 seconds. Stir in demi-glace and ¼ cup water (1⁄3 cup for 4). Simmer until slightly thickened, 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat. • Stir in another 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4) and any resting juices from steak until melted and combined. Season with salt and pepper.
• Slice steak against the grain. • Divide mashed potatoes, asparagus, and steak between plates. Top steak and potatoes with sauce. Garnish with remaining chives and serve.