Chicken Sausage & Sweet Potato Soup
with Kale & Herb Butter Toast Points
Rain or shine, warm or cool, it’s tough not to crave a big bowl of soup (i.e. the culinary equivalent of a bear hug). Tonight’s soup is chock full of goodness — that is to say spiced chicken sausage, chunks of sweet potato, and tender curly kale. And because no good brothy bowl is complete without some bread for dunking, we’re also throwing in buttery, herby toast points. Get ready for a meal as satisfying as it is delicious.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Italian Chicken Sausage Mix
Chicken Stock Concentrate
(Contains Soy, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. (TIP: If you have a toaster oven, feel free to skip preheating.) Place 2 TBSP butter (4 TBSP for 4 servings) and a pinch of Italian Seasoning (you’ll use more later) in a small microwave-safe bowl; bring to room temperature. Wash and dry all produce. • Halve, peel, and finely dice onion. Peel and dice sweet potato into ½-inch pieces. Remove and discard any large stems from kale.
• Heat a large drizzle of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4-5 minutes. • Add sausage* and cook, breaking up meat into pieces, until browned and cooked through, 4-6 minutes.
• Stir sweet potato, stock concentrates, 1 tsp Italian Seasoning (2 tsp for 4 servings), 2½ cups water (5 cups for 4), and a big pinch of salt into pot. (Use the rest of the Italian Seasoning as you like.) Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 7 minutes.
• Once soup has simmered for 7 minutes, uncover pot and stir in kale. Simmer, uncovered, until kale has wilted and sweet potato is tender, 5-7 minutes more. Season generously with salt and pepper.
• Meanwhile, mix softened butter and Italian Seasoning in a small bowl until thoroughly combined. Season with salt. TIP: If butter is not yet softened, microwave for 5-10 seconds. • Halve baguette; spread herb butter onto cut sides. Toast cut sides up on top rack (or in a toaster oven) until golden, 3-5 minutes. • Halve each baguette piece on a diagonal.
• Divide soup between bowls and top with Parmesan. Serve with toast points on the side.