Chicken and waffles is soul food at its finest, and this version adds even more layers of flavor. Softened butter is swirled with red pepper jam for a tangy waffle spread and hot honey is drizzled over top. Serve up these southern plates for dinner (or brunch!) and enjoy a savory-sweet meal with a down-home feel.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Belgian Waffles(ContainsEggs, Milk, Wheat)
Tempura Batter(ContainsEggs, Milk, Wheat)
Red Pepper Jam
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 325 degrees. • Pat chicken* dry with paper towels. Cut chicken lengthwise into 1-inch strips. Place chicken on a plate; coat with 1 TBSP tempura batter mix (2 TBSP for 4 servings). • In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, half the Fry Seasoning, a big pinch of salt, and pepper. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches the consistency of whole milk. • In a separate medium bowl (large bowl for 4), combine cornstarch, remaining tempura batter mix, remaining Fry Seasoning, a pinch of salt, and pepper.
• Working in batches, dip coated chicken into sour cream mixture until fully coated; shake off any excess liquid. Press each piece into tempura mixture until fully coated; shake off any excess mixture. • Return fully coated chicken to plate.
• Heat a 1⁄3-inch layer of oil in a large, heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot enough that a pinch of tempura mixture sizzles when added to the pan, working in batches, add coated chicken in an even layer. Cook for 1 minute, then reduce heat to medium and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. (Lower heat if chicken begins to brown too quickly.) • Transfer chicken to a paper-towel-lined plate; season with salt. • AIR FRYER ALTERNATIVE: Coat an air fryer basket with cooking spray; arrange coated chicken side by side in basket. Coat tops of chicken with cooking spray. Air fry at 370 degrees for 8 minutes. Flip chicken and coat again with cooking spray; air fry until cooked through and crispy, 8 minutes more.
• While chicken cooks, place 2 TBSP butter (4 TBSP for 4 servings) in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave until just softened, 20-25 seconds. • Stir red pepper jam into bowl with softened butter until smooth and thoroughly combined. Set aside until ready to serve. TIP: If you like your butter a bit more firm, place it in the fridge until ready to serve.
• Spread out waffles in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast until golden brown, 2-3 minutes.
• Divide waffles between plates; spread each with as much red pepper butter as you like. Place chicken over top or on the side. Drizzle with as much hot honey as you like and serve.
Chicken is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 165°.