Huevos Rancheros Rice & Bean Bowls
with Salsa Fresca & Creamy Enchilada Sauce
If you're a fan of breakfast for dinner, you can't pass up huevos rancheros, the classic Mexican breakfast featuring sunny-side up eggs with a spicy tomato sauce over toasty tortillas. Our version swaps tortillas for black beans and rice, then everything is piled in a hearty bowl with fried eggs, fresh salsa, and a creamy enchilada sauce. It's so good, you might just want it for breakfast, too!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Southwest Spice Blend
Not included in your delivery
• In a small pot, combine rice, 3⁄4 cup water, 1 tsp Southwest Spice Blend (you’ll use the rest later), and a big pinch of salt (for 4 servings, use a medium pot, 1 1⁄2 cups water, and 2 tsp Southwest Spice Blend). Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.
• While rice cooks, wash and dry produce. • Dice tomato into 1⁄2-inch pieces. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Zest and quarter lime. Peel and mince or grate garlic. Drain beans.
• In a small bowl, combine tomato, scallion greens, lime zest, juice from half the lime, and a pinch of garlic. Season with salt and pepper. • In a separate small microwave-safe bowl, combine sour cream with ¼ of the enchilada sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large, preferably nonstick, pan over medium- high heat. Add scallion whites, remaining garlic, and remaining Southwest Spice Blend. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. • Add beans and remaining enchilada sauce. Cook, stirring, until liquid has absorbed, 3-5 minutes (5-7 minutes for 4 servings). Season with salt and pepper.
• Once rice is finished cooking, stir in beans and a squeeze of lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Wash out pan. • Heat a drizzle of oil in pan used for beans over medium heat. Once hot, crack eggs into pan and cover. Fry eggs to preference (work in batches if necessary). Season with salt and pepper.
• Cover bowl with sauce tightly with plastic wrap; microwave until warmed through, 30-45 seconds. • Divide rice and beans between bowls; top with eggs, salsa, and sauce. Serve with any remaining lime wedges on the side.