Lone Star Chicken & Rice Bowls
topped with Smoky Red Pepper Crema & Salsa Fresca
Bowls have gone beyond “having a moment” and officially become a dinnertime staple. And why not? They’re hearty, comforting, and the ultimate culinary blank canvas. This version is packed with Tex-Mex-style fixings like saucy, spiced chicken and charred poblano pepper. They’re served over a bed of lime rice and topped with fresh salsa and smoky red pepper crema. Yep, this bodacious bowl is sure to satisfy.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Southwest Spice Blend
Chicken Breast Strips
Smoky Red Pepper Crema
(Contains Milk, Soy)
Not included in your delivery
• In a small pot, combine rice, ¾ cup water, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 1½ cups water.
• While rice cooks, wash and dry all produce. • Finely dice tomato. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Zest and quarter lime. Core, deseed, and dice poblano into ½-inch pieces. • Pat chicken* dry with paper towels.
• In a small bowl, combine tomato, scallion whites, and a squeeze of lime juice. Season with salt. • Add smoky red pepper crema to a separate small bowl. Stir in water 1 tsp at a time until it reaches a drizzling consistency.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add poblano; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 4-6 minutes. • Add another drizzle of oil, chicken, Southwest Spice, and a pinch of salt. Cook until poblano is tender and chicken is browned all over, 2-4 minutes (it’ll finish cooking in the next step). • TIP: Add a splash of water if chicken begins to brown too quickly.
• Pour in ½ cup water, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. • Add Tex-Mex paste and tomato paste; stir until fully incorporated. Bring to a simmer and cook until mixture has thickened and chicken is cooked through, 2-3 minutes. • Turn off heat; stir in 1 TBSP butter until melted. Add a squeeze of lime juice to taste. Taste and season with salt and pepper. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 1 cup water.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in 1 TBSP butter and lime zest. Season with salt and pepper. • Divide rice between shallow bowls. Top with poblano and chicken mixture, salsa fresca, smoky red pepper crema, and scallion greens. Serve with remaining lime wedges on the side. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2 TBSP butter.