Bowls have gone beyond “having a moment” and officially become a dinnertime staple. And why not? They’re hearty, comforting, and the ultimate culinary blank canvas. This version is packed with Tex-Mex-style fixings like saucy, spiced chicken and charred poblano pepper. They’re served over a bed of lime rice and topped with fresh salsa and smoky red pepper crema. Yep, this bodacious bowl is sure to satisfy.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Southwest Spice Blend
Chicken Breast Strips
Smoky Red Pepper Crema(ContainsMilk, Soy)
• In a small pot, combine rice, ¾ cup water, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 1½ cups water.
• While rice cooks, wash and dry all produce. • Finely dice tomato. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Zest and quarter lime. Core, deseed, and dice poblano into ½-inch pieces. • Pat chicken* dry with paper towels.
• In a small bowl, combine tomato, scallion whites, and a squeeze of lime juice. Season with salt. • Add smoky red pepper crema to a separate small bowl. Stir in water 1 tsp at a time until it reaches a drizzling consistency.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add poblano; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 4-6 minutes. • Add another drizzle of oil, chicken, Southwest Spice, and a pinch of salt. Cook until poblano is tender and chicken is browned all over, 2-4 minutes (it’ll finish cooking in the next step). • TIP: Add a splash of water if chicken begins to brown too quickly.
• Pour in ½ cup water, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. • Add Tex-Mex paste and tomato paste; stir until fully incorporated. Bring to a simmer and cook until mixture has thickened and chicken is cooked through, 2-3 minutes. • Turn off heat; stir in 1 TBSP butter until melted. Add a squeeze of lime juice to taste. Taste and season with salt and pepper. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 1 cup water.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in 1 TBSP butter and lime zest. Season with salt and pepper. • Divide rice between shallow bowls. Top with poblano and chicken mixture, salsa fresca, smoky red pepper crema, and scallion greens. Serve with remaining lime wedges on the side. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2 TBSP butter.