Plant-Based Protein Messy Janes
with Pickled Onion, Roasted Potato Wedges & Lime Mayo
Craving the ultimate throwback of the humble sloppy joe—minus the meat? Look no further. This version stars ground plant-based protein, and is worlds tastier than the ones the lunch lady slung: Think pickled onion, a smoky BBQ sauce, and a side of hearty potato wedges. (We’d definitely still recommend keeping a few napkins nearby, though.)
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Southwest Spice Blend
(Contains Milk, Eggs, Soy, Wheat)
Mushroom Stock Concentrate
Ground Plant-Based Protein
(Contains Soy, Tree Nuts, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Cut potatoes into ½-inch-thick wedges. Toss on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of oil, 1 tsp Southwest Spice (2 tsp for 4 servings), salt, and pepper. (You’ll use the rest of the Southwest Spice later.) • Roast on top rack until lightly browned and tender, 20-25 minutes.
• While potatoes roast, halve, peel, and very thinly slice ¼ of the onion; finely chop remaining. Quarter lime. Halve buns. • In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine sliced onion, juice from half the lime, ¼ tsp sugar (½ tsp for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Microwave until onion is softened, 1 minute. Set aside.
• In a second small bowl, combine BBQ sauce, ketchup, stock concentrate, half the cornstarch (all for 4 servings), remaining Southwest Spice, and 1 TBSP water (2 TBSP for 4). • In a third small bowl, combine mayonnaise and a squeeze of lime juice. Season with salt.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion; cook, stirring, until softened, 4-5 minutes. • Add plant-based protein*; season with salt and pepper. Using a spatula, press into an even layer; cook, undisturbed, until browned on bottom, 3-4 minutes. • Break up protein into pieces and continue cooking until browned all over and warmed through, 3-4 minutes more.
• Add 2 TBSP water (4 TBSP for 4 servings) to pan with plant-based protein, then stir in BBQ sauce mixture. Cook, stirring, until sauce has thickened, 2-3 minutes. (TIP: If sauce seems too thick, add another splash of water.) Taste and season with salt and pepper. Turn off heat. • Meanwhile, toast buns until golden brown.
• Divide buns between plates; spread cut sides of bottom buns with lime mayo. Fill buns with messy jane filling and as much pickled onion (draining first) as you like. Serve with potato wedges on the side and any remaining lime mayo for dipping.