Meatloaf à la Mom
with Potatoes, Green Beans & Thyme Gravy
It’s commonly agreed that no one makes meatloaf quite like Mom. But our chefs will settle for second best by taking a page from her book and passing on this recipe that stays about as true to tradition as can be. These ground beef mini loaves are brushed with a ketchup glaze, served with tender roasted green beans and potatoes, and drizzled with an herby thyme gravy. And if you’d like to claim this recipe as your own, don’t worry—we’ll stay mum.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Beef Stock Concentrate
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust racks to top and middle positions and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Cut potatoes into ½-inch-thick wedges. Halve and peel shallot. Grate one half on the largest holes of a box grater; place in a large bowl. Mince remaining shallot. Peel and mince garlic. Strip thyme leaves from stems; roughly chop leaves.
• Toss potatoes on a baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. • Roast on top rack until browned and tender, 20-25 minutes.
• Meanwhile, to bowl with grated shallot, add beef*, garlic, panko, half the chopped thyme, salt (we used ¾ tsp), and pepper. (Use 1½ tsp salt for 4 servings.) Gently combine, then form into two 1-inch-tall loaves (four loaves for 4). Place on one side of a second baking sheet. • Brush tops of meatloaves with 1 TBSP ketchup (2 TBSP for 4). • Bake on middle rack for 5 minutes (you’ll add the green beans then).
• Once meatloaves have baked 5 minutes, remove sheet from oven. Carefully toss green beans on empty side with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. • Return to middle rack until green beans are tender and meatloaves are cooked through, 12-15 minutes more.
• Meanwhile, melt ½ TBSP butter (1 TBSP for 4 servings) in a medium pan over medium heat. Add minced shallot and remaining chopped thyme. Cook, stirring, until shallot is softened, 3-4 minutes. • Sprinkle with flour; stir vigorously to combine. Whisk in stock concentrate and ½ cup water (1 cup for 4). Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened and saucy, 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
• Slice meatloaves crosswise. • Divide meatloaves, potatoes, and green beans between plates. Spoon gravy over meatloaves and serve.