Vegan Turkish-Spiced Chickpea Bowls
with Pistachio Basmati Rice & Lemon-Herb Hummus Sauce
A chickpea bowl is the epitome of plant-based perfection. In this one, Turkish-spiced chickpeas are roasted alongside onion wedges and grape tomatoes, then tossed with bright and tangy lemon zest. Veggies are served over a bed of fragrant basmati rice mixed with pistachios and golden raisins for texture and sweetness. And since the secret’s always in the sauce, you’ll finish things off with a drizzle of herby lemon hummus that brings all these flavors together. With so much to savor in one bowl, we guarantee any non-vegan dinner guests won’t even miss the meat!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Veggie Stock Concentrate
Turkish Spice Blend
(Contains Tree Nuts)
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position (top and middle positions for 4 servings) and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Zest and quarter lemon. Halve, peel, and cut onion into 1⁄2-inch-thick wedges; mince a few wedges until you have 2 TBSP (4 TBSP for 4). Peel and mince or grate garlic. Roughly chop pistachios. Halve tomatoes lengthwise. Drain and rinse chickpeas; pat very dry with paper towels. Roughly chop parsley and chives. • In a small bowl, combine raisins with juice from one lemon wedge (two wedges for 4).
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add minced onion, garlic, half the pistachios (save the rest for serving), half the Turkish Spice Blend (you’ll use the rest in the next step), and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. • Stir in rice, 3⁄4 cup water (1 1⁄2 cups for 4 servings), stock concentrate, and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to use in step 5.
• Meanwhile, toss onion wedges, tomatoes, and chickpeas on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of oil, remaining Turkish Spice Blend, a few pinches of salt, and pepper. (For 4 servings, use 2 baking sheets; roast on top and middle racks, swapping rack positions halfway through.) • Roast on top rack, tossing halfway through, until veggies are lightly charred and chickpeas are crispy, 18-20 minutes. (It’s natural for chickpeas to pop a bit while roasting.)
• While everything roasts, in a second small bowl, combine hummus, half the parsley and chives, 2 TBSP olive oil (4 TBSP for 4), and juice from one lemon wedge (two wedges for 4). Season with salt. Stir in water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in raisins and their pickling liquid and remaining parsley and chives. Season with salt and pepper. • Toss veggies and chickpeas with lemon zest.
• Divide rice between shallow bowls or plates. Top with veggies and chickpeas. Drizzle with hummus sauce to taste. Garnish with remaining pistachios and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Serve with any remaining lemon wedges on the side.